Thanks, I'm cured!

By fuauntflo - 07/07/2020 17:01

Today, I went to the ER because of an intensely heavy flow. They kept me waiting so long that, although I was wearing a super absorbent tampon and a pad, I still bled through three times. When I was finally seen, the doctor said, "Try using a higher absorbency and follow up with your regular physician." FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 117
You deserved it 187

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I really hope you got this checked out afterwards, OP. Years back, my mom used to have this extremely heavy flow that she ended up anemic and went through her pads in matter of minutes, and the doctors still didn't think there was anything wrong with her - right until they finally found out that she has a myoma the size of an orange on her uterus. Please, do not underestimate issues like that, and do not allow them to brush your worries away.

Same thing happened to my wife. She ended up needed a hysterectomy and her OBGYN filed a complaint against the ER doc.

Comments

I really hope you got this checked out afterwards, OP. Years back, my mom used to have this extremely heavy flow that she ended up anemic and went through her pads in matter of minutes, and the doctors still didn't think there was anything wrong with her - right until they finally found out that she has a myoma the size of an orange on her uterus. Please, do not underestimate issues like that, and do not allow them to brush your worries away.

Agree - totally sounds liek mioma. Please get checked!

Same thing happened to my wife. She ended up needed a hysterectomy and her OBGYN filed a complaint against the ER doc.

Ambrily 27

I hope she's doing better now, and that the ER doctor somehow paid for that.

fight to have this checked out op. could very well be a sign of a serious problem.

Yummi_913 18

Please find a good OBGYN. Not just the first one you come across, but an actual good one. I had been through so many of them before I actually met one that took me seriously and had knowledge on shit other than pap smears and birth control. I ended up needing surgery from how bad my condition got over the years but at least it was caught before the whole uterus had to go and I'm so thankful for that.

bloopaloop 27

Yeah dude, your uterus is hemorrhaging.

So did you explain to him what happened in the waiting room?

I am so sorry. Healthcare worker bias against women is a known, and very serious, problem. I really hope that this is a 'happened in the past' fml and that you've gotten the medical treatment that you need. I also hope you filed a complaint against that asshole because shit like this makes my blood boil.

crashtestdumplin 16

My mom had a similar thing happen and had to have a hysterectomy

a lot of people don't seem to understand what the ER is like. you shouldn't be surprised this happened, what you think is a lot of blood and a serious problem is not the same thing a doc, especially an ER doc will think. they're always behind and understaffed so if it's not immediately serious odds are they'll send you off. call your family doc schedule an emergency meeting, then get a referral to a good obgyn, or just call the obgyn right away.

When you bleed through three pads that fast, it is a serious problem that’s going to lead to serious anemia. The issue isn’t just understaffing. ER doctors, especially male ones, dismiss female issues continuously as “normal” problems. A simple blood test would show the amount of blood loss she’s had, but some doctors won’t even order that because “it’s normal.” Even though bleeding that much is a serious problem that usually leads to the bed of a hysterectomy.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It can be really frustrating when people don't take vaginal related issues seriously... I hope you managed to see someone who was able to help you. However, heavy bleeding like this can sometimes be a sign of things like polycystic ovarian syndrome or endometriosis.. Maybe you could see a gynae and they could help.. Also, if it is Polycystic ovarian syndrome, the Mirena (a contraceptive) can help with the intense bleeding :) xx