By liberatedwoman - 11/08/2009 14:57 - Oman

Today, my mother sat me down to tell me that since coming home from college, I sounded like "a liberated woman." She was disappointed and disturbed by this, and said that I should stop having strong opinions and ideals because it would make finding a husband for me difficult. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 095
You deserved it 7 371

Same thing different taste

Top comments

softbonez 0

Tell your mom to shut the **** up and that this isn't the 1950's.

Don't stop being "a liberated woman" everyone should use their brains and being willing to speak in a peaceful manor and have discussions on issues. Besides I would rather date a woman that can tell me that I am wrong and then we can discuss why I am wrong and find common ground. Keep it up, your doing the right thing.

Comments

justmyluck1212 0

then tell her no "its not worth getting married" 2 scare her off a bit

GrinningColossus 0

women have the right.... to make me dinner lol jk jk

rustyrox 0

Sounds like she didn't go to college...

hir23 0

OMG OMG OMG an FML from Oman! This is so exciting. That's where I've grown up too. (And am currently in Oman on summer break.) The past year I've been away at college in the States. I feel like this is the story of my life... except my mom is a little more subtle about giving me the message. To the OP, I know exactly how you feel. I've been struggling with the same issue myself and I think the best thing to do is pick your battles wisely. It's important to have your own opinions, but there is a time and place for everything. I used to be so vocal about everything; now I've learned how to present my ideas so that my parents won't automatically hate them. And I still have a lot of views I plan on revealing when I'm fully independent (aka financially independent). To everyone who doesn't understand the culture of Oman and the Middle East... it's very different here. Women are expected to be demure and obedient, and obey their husbands/fathers. Yeah, it's not fair, it's not right, but you can't turn around a culture overnight. The encouraging thing is that Omani women are making strides all the time now, so change will come. Just slowly. To FML, it's spelled Muscat now, not Masqat.

anonymousssss_fml 3

that's just wrong! has your mother ever heard of women's rights? times have changed. props to you for speaking your mind! :)

Oh, you people make me laugh. Let's face it: women are, and will always be the same as men. Having a penis doesn't make you smarter, sorry boys...

fxdxhk90 0

Listen to your mom, she is right. No one likes a woman that mouths off about neo feminism.