By awkwardparents - 06/08/2012 08:13 - United States - Burlingame

Today, my girlfriend's parents took pictures of my tattoos to make sure I'm "not affiliated with any gangs." I have never even been arrested. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 802
You deserved it 4 176

Same thing different taste

Top comments

'even been arrested?' you make it sound like being arrested is a normal thing.

Then you have nothing to worry about, right?

Comments

have they discovered the butterflies and rainbows and -gasp!- the heart around 'mom'? cause those are pretty good evidence of being in a gang :P

KiiwiiRox 6

Gangs are a real threat in our society. They're only watching out for their daughter. If you have nothing to hide, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. But I think its slightly wrong to think that just because you have tattoos... But that's just me.

coughyochick 7

Maybe it's just me. But I've never seen gang violence, been a part of it, and I have never met a gang member. In fact, the only time I hear about gangs is on the news.

Amen 40. Where the **** did you grow up 13, South Central?

twisted_cherub 14

I live in a town of less than 20,000 people. I've seen gang violence. One town over, people don't go out at night in most of the city, shootings occur on a pretty regular basis and S.W.A.T. stays active year 'round. That town has less than 40,000. Gangs in large cities tend to stick to their territories and mostly go after other gangs (innocent bystanders are sometimes killed in crossfire), but the smaller cities are full of punks trying to prove themselves. Those wannabes hurt/kill people just to show they can. Feel good that you can sit in your secure home and watch it on the news, because there are a lot of people afraid to sit on their own front porches.

Now I'm not saying to dump your girlfriend but ...you should remember that if you love her, and ever decide to marry her, her family becomes yours. Can you live with that kind of crazy for life? I'm just saying, think about it.

Yes, it must be horrible to be around people who care about their daughter and are concerned for her safety.

No I meant judgmental people... hopefully they won't be like that forever.

twisted_cherub 14

Every family judges the romantic interests in their children's lives, even if you have the most liberal, free-thinking parents. Those people would be a little concerned if their daughter brought home a very traditional Southern Baptist guy who was influencing the daughter's way of thinking. All in-laws judge and interfere. That's why living several states away from both families is best.

I don't know... That My Little Pony tattoo looks awfully suspicious to me. What is this, "bronies?" is it a gang? Hahaha I'm kidding OP, there's really nothing to worry about :)

Bronies' love of MLP is merely a cover for our baked goods smuggling ring. :P Muffin?

you don't necessarily have to have been arrested to be in a gang.

perdix 29

What does not getting arrested have to do with anything? It could mean you are in a gang and are good at not getting caught. I'm sure parents would prefer their daughter to mate with a SUCCESSFUL thug. The tattoo pics are important -- I'd be more worried if you were a Brony than if you were a Crip or a Blood.

Maybe her parents are in law enforcement. That's why they would be looking them up? But I guess if they were they should be able to identify them

FireFlie07 20

At least they care about her?

I hope your tattoos aren't of Barbie or Bratz. Though that would clear you from suspicion...

If her parents are that judgmental of your appearance, OP, get out while you can IMO. They are looking for reasons to dislike you. If your tats check out, they will decide your car is bad, your fashion is ominous, etc. Sometimes it is a bad idea to date outside of your social caste. I see her family as being the sheltered snobby rich type - normal parents wouldn't do that.

Your advice is good, but you're jumping the gun a bit, no? The parents are just making sure their daughter doesn't get into a relationship that could be potentially harmful to her, or their family. They wouldn't check if it didn't look like a gang tattoo. And for the record, "never being arrested." doesn't make you an angel. There are plenty of thugs and potheads that have never been caught.