By damniphone - 29/06/2013 05:31 - Canada - Edmonton

Today, my friend thought it would be funny to change the language setting on my phone to Mandarin. Unfortunately, neither of us knows Mandarin, and we can't change it back to English. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 099
You deserved it 8 703

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I did that once except that I changed it to Japanese, the FML was refused. FML

Kallian_fml 21

Time to make a new Asian friend.

Comments

You don't have your menu set up memorized?

perdix 29

Call a local Chinese restaurant and place an order for Peking Duck (shouldn't it be called Beijing Duck now? But, I digress.) Go the next day and enjoy the duck and casually ask the waiter to fix your phone. If he or she fixes it, tip them generously, otherwise 12%. The goodness of the duck should slightly outweigh the bitter disappointment of having a doorstop for a phone.

perdix 29

What's the matter? They are probably not going to want to help if you just come in for the Kung Pao Chicken lunch special. You've got to make it worth their while!

Sinistra_Blue 12

With OP's luck, if he gets a fortune cookie it will probably be in chinese too.

Just use another friends phone(if it's the same type) as a guide for getting to the language settings. All the buttons for getting therr will be in the same place, just in a different language.

Omfgitsmia 15

Do a hard reset. You'll be able to choose a language like when you first bought it.

FML_14u2c 14

It's not THAT hard to change back. The iPhone has icons... (The language might be different, but the icon for "General" isn't -- it's the same as the one for "Settings".) In that General setting, changing the Language is under "International", the 3rd choice up from the bottom.

You're assuming that OP is using an iPhone, which is not stated.

KMCG31 3

This happened to me before. Luckily I have a friend with the same phone, so I could just figure out the me way the menu is set up and just click the nth button from the top. Otherwise, just reflash or reset.

Just keep clicking on every option until you see the word English come up

Find someone with the same phone in English and follow what they do on your phone! Simple fix

go to settings, then the 6th tab going down (general). from there go 12 tabs down to get to the international settings. the first tab in that section sets the language for your iDevice.

If this is on an iPhone, then it should be something like this (listed in Simplified Chinese; in case its in Traditional Chinese, which is another writing set, I put it in the parentheses): Go to 设置 (設置 if Traditional Chinese), or Settings. Scroll down until you see 通用 (same characters in Traditional Chinese), or General. Press 多语言环境 (語言環境 if Traditional Chinese), or Multilingual Environment (it's close to the bottom). Press the first button, 语言 (語言 in Traditional Chinese), or Languages. Hit English, and press the blue button labelled 完成 (same characters in Traditional Chinese), or finish ;)