By Winx - 16/03/2012 07:13 - United States

Today, my dad informed me that my prom dress makes me look chubby from the side, gives me "back fat", and that I wouldn't want to go to prom looking like that. I tried to ignore his hurtful comments and tell myself I was beautiful. Then the clasp broke. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 324
You deserved it 11 702

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe you should listen to your father's advice for a change instead of categorically ignoring him just because it makes you feel better. He could've just said "DAAAAAMN!" But it sounds more like he was trying to be helpful rather than hurtful.

Idonebeenhad 17

Girl: Does this dress make me look fat? Guy: Uhh no it's fine. Girl: STOP LYING TO ME Guy: Okay, a little Girl: WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT, OH MY GOD I'M NEVER GONNA TALK TO YOU AGAIN

Comments

You know what OP? I bet you're beautiful. Ignore these assholes that post stupid shit.

pinkylue243 1

I'm sorry. But your beautiful no matter what anyone says

Lemonkiss 0

I hate people. You are beautiful<3

It does not make sense to hate people and then immediately tell one of them that he/she is beautiful.

hey, it seems pretty likely that it was caused by the same thing that grabs so many people - don't buy clothing too small just because you physically are able to fit into it. buy sizes that fit you well and flatter you. I don't understand why people try to fit into a 10 instead of a 12, for example, if the 12 would look far better because it fits. you don't have to TELL someone that you're in a size 12 not a size 10 but you'll look far better if you shop to your size. if you buy too small, the only thing you'll achieve is looking silly - plus, nobody even knows you're wearing a size 10, plus if they did they'd just go 'lol it's too small'. hope that made sense. hope I don't seem like I'm being insulting!

Okay I get that he did the right the thing by telling his daughter she looked 'fat' bit at the same time he didn't do the right thing. He could have worded his comment differently and maybe said 'oh honey I think you might have gotten a size to small by accident' or 'just a little more working out and you'll look even better in that dress. They're's a when and a way to say everything.

According to your FML, OP, you shouldn't have felt hurt at all by what your dad said. "...my prom *dress* *makes* me look chubby from the side, *gives* me 'back fat'..." From what he said, it's the dress's problem. Feel hurt for choosing the wrong size/shape, perhaps. But sometimes our choices suck, and your dad isn't being hurtful by telling you you made a mistake. It sounds like he rescued you from taking your shopping screw-up with you to the prom! Mend your error, and it'll all be fine. Thank your dad, also. He deserves it.

Odds are he was trying to help, guys aren't always good about how they say things like that. The key words there would be that he was blaming the dress, meaning he doesn't necessarily think you're fat, he thinks the dress is the wrong size. Even if you are bigger, the right fit of dress isn't going to make it look bad, it's going to flatter the right areas.

Ashley91129 6