By Ihatemyfamily - 05/09/2016 21:46 - United States - Euless

Today, my brother's high school was having a soccer game against mine, and as a sign of good luck, I told him to "break a leg". He broke mine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 407
You deserved it 1 332

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is why I always tell rivals to "give me a million dollars" prior to playing against them. I've gotten the weirdest looks and people are starting to talk behind my back, but it'll be worth it once I'm rolling in dough!

Why do you and your brother attend different schools? You're obviously within the same age range if you're rivaling one another, so... What gives?

Comments

You haven't got a leg to stand on! Apart from your other one, but the point was you did tell him to break a leg.

I don't think you understand what a colloquialism is

This is why I always tell rivals to "give me a million dollars" prior to playing against them. I've gotten the weirdest looks and people are starting to talk behind my back, but it'll be worth it once I'm rolling in dough!

How did he break your leg? Did he trip you, or shove you on the ground or something. Either way, amazing that the leg was broken, hmm.... Good luck op. Remember you still have a leg to stand on.

Why say break a leg in sports? It's a term used for artistic/musical performances as it refers to taking a bow.

Actually the much more likely meaning is that because it was considered to be inviting bad luck to wish someone good luck, you'd instead wish them something bad instead.

While yes, it does mean taking a bow, there is another meaning. Also originating in theater, actors being superstitious and all thought that by inviting bad luck they would have good luck. Though it doesn't necessarily have to be used for theater. In this case though I think OP was using it more sarcastically than anything. Or just wanting his brother to have good luck.

The term goes back to the days of Vaudeville where time was valuable and not everyone could go on stage. At some shows, acts would line up at the side of the stage (called a leg). If they made it past a certain point it was guaranteed that their act would go on stage. This was called 'breaking a leg'. The term "break a leg" came to mean "I hope you make it on stage" and in time "Good luck". It was seen as bad form to say anything other than "break a leg"/"I hope you make it on stage". So, in this case, "break a leg" could mean "I hope you make it off the bench".

Glad someone knows why we say that. I was a theatre nerd all through high school. Drives me crazy when people don't understand it

Why do you and your brother attend different schools? You're obviously within the same age range if you're rivaling one another, so... What gives?

hellobobismyname 24

Maybe each school caters to different interests? Like one might have a really good math program and the other might have an amazing marching band. Just a few examples. Kids are all unique and schools should ideally be chosen because it is what is best for each individual child rather than convenience for the parents or just a matter of "siblings should go to the same school." I'm just guessing of course.

They could also be step or half brothers who live with different parents, or one could live with each divorced parent.

well my nephew's attend different schools. one is in a French program and the other school doesn't. same with my siblings. one attended a Catholic schools and the other in a school with an excellent math and science program. different interests, you know?

In my county, we have these programs called Specialty Centers that you apply for your 8th grade year. Each Speciality Center has a different focus and only accepts about 100 students per class. For example, one could be for Health Science (My rival), Mathematics & Science (My school), Technology (Another rival), Performing arts, etc.

My brother and I go do different high schools because the one I'm at has tech program while the one my brother is at doesnt

If the rezoning was just done and one is a senior, they get to keep going to their school, while if another is younger than a senior, they will be forced to move. This is how it's done in my county so I'm just guessing it could be the same for them.

My twin brother and I went to different specialty high schools and attend different universities. That could be the case here or they could even live in different areas. You never know

Why are you and your brother in different schools?

my twin and i went to different schools because of an academic program. or maybe they're half siblings who live with different parents

karma, karma, stop calling the bad!! lessons to be learned..

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

In a lot of places "break a leg" is used in any situation where you want to inadvertently wish someone good luck.

...are you serious, 15? Are you seriously saying that OP deserves to have a broken leg over a choice of words? Granted, I myself made a joke about that, but a joke was all it was. What the hell is wrong with you?

soccer isnt a contact sport, you can tell by the way the players fall, flailing to the ground crying when you bump into them

Did his team win? If so, it worked, didn't it!