By Anonymous - 06/11/2012 02:48 - United States - Gainesville

Today, my best friend got engaged to the guy she's been seeing for five years. He also happens to be the man I've been in love with for eight. As she was giving me the details, she nonchalantly gave me her reason for accepting the proposal: "Why the hell not, there's always divorce." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 397
You deserved it 4 519

Same thing different taste

Top comments

8 years?? Perhaps it's time for you to move on?? And for those saying for OP to tell him, I think she's missed her window. He wouldn't have proposed if he didn't love her best friend, and no decent friend or human would ruin their best friend's relationship or wedding.

Ouch. That's a doomed marriage for sure, and that sucks for everyone involved. But if dreamboy can't see that she's that shallow and stupid after 5 years, then you should probably stop dreaming about him and find someone better.

Comments

What a shitty friend you are. I love my husband more than anything and I made many flip remarks during my engagement (including the one your friend made) but it certainly did not change how dear he was and still is to me. You need to move on with your life and let her be happy with hers.

Before I get thumbed down more, I am referring to OP's friend. Not OP.

perdix 29

No, you had it right the first time. The OP's morals are ****** up for continuing to be in love with a guy once he started dating her so-called best friend.

We're assuming that OP's friend meant that statement. She could have been aware of OP's feelings and didn't want to rub it in even more by gushing about how much she loved him. Or they might not be getting along just yet because of the changed dynamic and OP's friend has cold feet and is trying to comfort herself. Or she might even have been mad at OP and wanted to hurt her. The point is, I'm sure OP's friend must love him because people don't stay in relationships for five years if they don't.

They have been together for 5 years, surely you must have realised that it would lead to marraige. You definately need to move on. Still lots of fish in the sea ;-)

perdix 29

Now, we see where how these "I caught my boyfriend and my best friend" stories get started. Shame on you for desiring your best friend's boyfriend. You need to either (ee) get over him or dump your "best friend," because you're not her friend -- you're just a snake in the grass.

moonfull101 13

Suckish situation . Call off the wedding

It's not her wedding to call off. The groom-to-be is in love with someone else. Someone far more deserving by the sounds.

BusinessTurtle 8

This sounds like a Taylor Swift song in the making.

I think the real FML is the fact that you've been in love with an unattainable guy for 5 years. Move on - it's been long enough. But for your friend to enter into what is supposed to be a lifelong committment with the idea that she can always bail if it doesn't work out? She sounds like a real Caring Understanding Nineties Type.

s1ckpup 0

No she doesn't, she sounds like a ****

Your fault for not saying anything during those three years.

It's people like the OP's friend that have made me lose faith in love, and humanity in general really.