By Anonymous - 06/11/2012 02:48 - United States - Gainesville

Today, my best friend got engaged to the guy she's been seeing for five years. He also happens to be the man I've been in love with for eight. As she was giving me the details, she nonchalantly gave me her reason for accepting the proposal: "Why the hell not, there's always divorce." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 397
You deserved it 4 519

Same thing different taste

Top comments

8 years?? Perhaps it's time for you to move on?? And for those saying for OP to tell him, I think she's missed her window. He wouldn't have proposed if he didn't love her best friend, and no decent friend or human would ruin their best friend's relationship or wedding.

Ouch. That's a doomed marriage for sure, and that sucks for everyone involved. But if dreamboy can't see that she's that shallow and stupid after 5 years, then you should probably stop dreaming about him and find someone better.

Comments

collegedream121 8

This reminds me of the movie Something Borrowed maybe u should watch it and you could get something out of it..

Wow that seems like true love right there...Not. -.-

It sounds like the friend probably made the comment as a joke, and the OP is hearing what they want to hear and instead of taking it as a joke, is aiming to use it to try and wreck their engagement/paint her as a bad person because it validates her own feelings towards the guy, and shows that she would really be better for him. Like the other commenters said, 5 years is a long time to date someone you're not close to or don't care about that much, and if she was really that cruddy of a girlfriend before I'm sure OP knew and would have/should have stepped in then, earlier on. I'm sure they couple is very happy, albeit nervous, and OP is just nervous and can't handle the thought of the man loving her friend more than her, and her friend getting the happy ever after OP feels she deserves more.

Then you still have a chance. Make it count! Get what you want!!!

I think OP's friend's marriage could be similar to Kim Kardashian's if that is how she really feels.

Eight years "in love with" a man you were never actually in a relationship with? I have a feeling if you ever got the chance to be with him, you would be disappointed. He probably isn't as great as the idea you've built up in your head. It might be time to move on, regardless of whether your friend was serious about her comment.

Must suck to "love" someone for 8 years and not say anything.

You had three years of loving him before your friend got with him, and in those three years you either didn't say anything or he didn't like you back. You clearly missed your chance with this guy, and you should have moved on at least four years ago (I usually believe long-term relationships to get more serious after a year, so I mean four not five).

onemorehuman 3

I think after he was dating your friend for 5 years that you need to get over him. Your chance to make a move was a long time ago. Maybe you should have said something in the 3 years you liked him before she even met him. It's kind of your own fault OP.

Stop trying to make yourself out to be a victim. Your friend has a right to marry the guy, even if its for reasons you do not agree with. For all you know the guy doesn't care and wants to be with her, even if she seems "crummy" for not being as romantic as you feel she should. You do not have a say in their relationship and you need to move on.