By Anonymous - 06/11/2012 02:48 - United States - Gainesville

Today, my best friend got engaged to the guy she's been seeing for five years. He also happens to be the man I've been in love with for eight. As she was giving me the details, she nonchalantly gave me her reason for accepting the proposal: "Why the hell not, there's always divorce." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 397
You deserved it 4 519

Same thing different taste

Top comments

8 years?? Perhaps it's time for you to move on?? And for those saying for OP to tell him, I think she's missed her window. He wouldn't have proposed if he didn't love her best friend, and no decent friend or human would ruin their best friend's relationship or wedding.

Ouch. That's a doomed marriage for sure, and that sucks for everyone involved. But if dreamboy can't see that she's that shallow and stupid after 5 years, then you should probably stop dreaming about him and find someone better.

Comments

It's been eight years. I think it's long overdue, but perhaps this wedding will help you finally move on. You'll find someone better, you just need to get over this guy first.

That's like something out of a movie!!! Now you have to fight for him. Tell him you love him

Why? Why ruin her friend's relationship like that? Here is how it breaks down. Op has to have known this guy for over eight years (you don't fall in love overnight) and had three or more years to let her affections be known. The guy also had that same period of time to develop feelings for Op. It never happened. So her going up to him, declaring her love, will do nothing but turn everyone in her social circle away from her. Her best friend is marrying a guy she has likely been friends with for a long time. SO they likely share a lot of mutual friends, have a lot of common hang outs and interests. Op makes a big deal about it, ruins the wedding, and "fights" for a guy who is not hers and will never be, she loses everything. The best advice would be for her to move on, be it to find a new job, a new town, or a new place to live and try to slowly make new friends.

DisappearingRose 18
desireev 17

Years... I believe OP said "8 years". I'm glad I could clear that up for you. :)

anyone considered that the op's friend might have just been joking? Maybe op heard it as being serious because of her feelings for him?

icadragoon 11

I've seen this situation before, and it didn't end pretty. The girl that had the "crush" (We'll call her J) told the guy (E) after her "best friend" (A) had two kids with him. J told E how she felt about him and he confessed he felt the same way for her, but feels trapped since he has 2 kids and he'd be paying up the butt in child support if he left. A and J don't talk anymore and A and E are now married. You're better off not saying anything at all and moving on, why loose a friendship and not get the guy (cause why would be leave a relationship of 8 years for someone else if he's already happy) or you could loose your best friend and be with a guy that called off the wedding of a girl he's been with for 8 years. Either way it makes you look bad. There's more fish in the sea, go fishing.

gczizza1997 15

Her best friends been with him For five years shes Been inlove with him For 8

YDI for not having made any move to change the status quo from "the man I'm in love with" to either "the man I'm with" or "someone I once had feeling for but moved on since he didn't want anything with me". That's the truth.

Trainzboy 4

68, sometimes it's not that easy. As with me. I've posted about myself before, and well, *my* crush would never take me as a lover. I settle for friends. But the feeling is still there. Sometimes, it's better not to make that change.

brierpoop 4

This reminds me of the movie Something Borrowed. You never know OP, you might get your chance

doglover100 28

She shouldn't be getting married.