By blah - 01/02/2010 06:43 - France

Today, it's officially been two weeks since I found out I have mono. It's also been two weeks since anyone has visited me, called me, or even emailed me. The real kicker? I'm now fired from my job because they can't believe I can have mono twice in one year. I guess I'm just lucky that way. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 246
You deserved it 3 723

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I had mono and it's horrible. People shouldn't act like that. You don't even do anything and you get it. And you can only get it once in most cases. Fyl indeed for having people in your life who don't understand. And first, who cares If your first? And then you add ew? You're lucky you've never had it.

Comments

get well soon! and if none of your friends have contacted you then you need some new friends

uhohuscrewedup 0

"it's just mono". Ewww. You need to stop making out with random ppl or stop drinking from the same glasses as others.

those aren't the only ways to get mono and having it doesn't mean you're a gross person. Grow up.

I got mono when I was 11 years old, apparently from using the school water fountain (we only had one fountain, and the first graders liked to slobber all over it). So was I gross for doing such a natural and normal thing as getting a drink of water when I was thirsty? You can get it from kissing, sharing drinking glasses or eating utensils, drinking from a recently "infected" water fountain, hell even having an infected person cough or sneeze on you (and you inhale the droplets of saliva) could transmit the infection....MANY things can cause mono.

are you actually trying to argue that inhaling droplets of saliva are not disgusting? WHO ARE YOU?

I'm not arguing that getting someone else's illness-laced spit in your mouth isn't disgusting. I'm saying that a person isn't automatically gross because they contracted mono (or the flu, or a head cold, or any other illness), and a person isn't automatically gross because they got sick after doing a normal, everyday task. Being sick is natural, it doesn't make someone "yucky".

If you contracted say...sepsis...from rolling around in a trash heap or feces while you had an open wound, THEN you're disgusting. Getting mono from something as harmless as a shared cup, fork, a kiss, or even being in the right place when an infected person sneezes? You're not gross.

Most people get it from putting toys in their mouths when they are toddlers. Toddlers only are sick for a couple of days from it, so it's good to get it while you're young.

mono was the worst experience of my life. 3 visits to the ER before they realized there was a huge absess in my throat=5 days in the hospital. I did lose 25lbs in 2 weeks tho!

Flutist 3
athena3100 9

I got mono from my sister, She didnt feel like telling me after i used her fork to eat something from her plate. I had to get a damn shot in my ass!

sue the **** out of your work. if you have proof that's wrongfully termination. and mono sucks, I had it, then I got strep at the same time. not fun

bugmenotmofo 34

For anyone reading this going "wtf is mono": the rest of the world calls it "glandular fever".

That's only partially true. Actually, it's mostly non-North American, English-speaking countries that call it the latter, and not just "the rest of the world."

Thank you #21. I was like, mono? WTF. Glandular is horrible. Feel better soon, OP.

Well actually we call it kyssesyge. xD Not everyone speaks english as first language, you know.

blacklite69 0

Oooooh. I was wondering. Yeah, glandular sucks ASS.

Yep, that name definitely makes sense! Besides the exhaustion, the swollen glands are the absolute worst. But "mono" is also a shortened version of one of the scientific names of the disease. It's caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, and its full name is "mononucleosis" or "infectious mononucleosis."

In Argentina we call it Mono/Mononucleosis too ;)

athena3100 9

I know it as Mononucliosis. Aka Mono.

you only get mono once, don't you? thus, you deserve it. and #21, no the rest of the world doesnt call it glandular fever, its widely known as mononucleosis in most languages that i've come across so far.

#24 in Australia we call it Glandular Fever. #21 is not stupid. Please apologise now... :-)

xx_irish_rose_xx 0

If you didn't bother to bring a doctor's note to work, YDI, if you did and they thought it was fake, FYL

wellinever 5

#21, Wikipedia supports you. It says that Infectious Mononucleosis is known colloquially as kissing disease—from its oral transmission—or as mono in North America and as glandular fever in other English-speaking countries.

ok so here in australia ive knows a few people that have had glandular fever but never have i herd the word mono and yeh im pretty sure you can get it more then once