By earthlyscum - 19/05/2015 02:27 - United States - Tinley Park

Today, I woke up to my roommates "pet" snake casually lying in bed with me. I then got yelled at for screaming and scaring the snake. Apparently, it's my fault that it bit my chin. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 010
You deserved it 3 677

earthlyscum tells us more.

**** that, I'll eat the damn thing first

Top comments

How else were you supposed to react? It's a f@#king snake!

YDI for having such a delicious looking chin! ;)

Comments

You're an idiot op. Yes, it was your fault that it bit you. You startled it, and it reacted like just about any other animal would. You were aware of the pets existence and therefore should've known that animals often escape their enclosures. Granted your roommate should've taken better precautions to keep the snake in the tank, shit happens. They have nothing better to do than to find ways of escaping. Trust me I own several snakes. It was in your bed looking for a warm dark place to hide, not sizing you up as most of these idiot commenters wrongly believe.

I don't care what the circumstances are, if I woke up to a snake I'd freak the hell out too.

I hope you were being sarcastic, if not, you are an idiot... Do you know what the 'fight-or-flight' instinct is? It means pretty much all people will have an initial reaction to something extraordinary (like an animal in their bed that definitely should NOT be there), those that don't have that response usually have a severe mental deviation. First rule of owning a pet is, YOU are responsible for said pet, not someone else. If something like this happens, YOU are FIRST to blame, not someone else. It is nnot op's responsibility to learn about the roommate pet, it is the roommate's responsibility to look after said pet.

How on earth does that make it OP's fault or make OP an idiot? At most it makes it no one's fault. You correctly acknowledge that most snakes instinctually bit when startled and instinctually seek out a warm and dark place to rest. But you ignore the fact that many humans instinctually scream and freak out when they wake up groggy and an animal they weren't expecting that many people have an intrinsic fear of is next to them in their bed. OP can't be faulted any more than the snake can.

Right, I'm an idiot for reacting just as any human being would. Congrats, you own snakes. Did I ask? No. You're rude and irrelevant. Calling a complete stranger an idiot is down right outrageous.

Don't worry OP I can honestly say I would've freaked out 100x worse than you. You'd probably think It was a 12 year old girl instead of a 23 year old man.

alicat089 18

so....op's an idiot for reacting the way A LOT of people would? that makes TOTAL sense.

MzZombicidal 36

Lol. So OP's an idiot for reacting how humans react when scared but the snake's fine for reacting how snakes react when scared? Not everyone's a big fan of reptiles. I myself love snakes and have owned a few but I'd never ever blame someone for getting bitten by a snake that I didn't properly ******* cage as its OWNER.

saffy66 34

Buy a tarantula and return the favour.

SexyMexi21 23
lynadette 5

Were you unaware that your roommate had a snake? People freak out over snake bites; however, you don't hear much about dog bites/cat claws... Would you feel the same way if your roommate had a cat that you woke up to in your face? Just enjoy that the snake loved you enough to cuddle with you and give you kisses ;)

I don't know about you, but there's a huge difference between cats/dogs and snakes.

Not really, aside from the obvious physical aspects... All three are animals that people keep as pets. All three have people who have phobias of them, and people who love them. All three can be friendly and fun to play with. All three can be dangerous if not approached or handled properly, and all three can bite when they feel the need to. And cat and dog bites are actually more painful and have a higher infection risk than snake bites. So I'm not sure what huge difference you're thinking of... As far as the question of how would you react to a cat or dog vs a snake in your bed, for me it would be the same for all three, surprised but not freaking out. But I like cats and dogs and snakes. If someone is afraid of snakes it makes sense to panic if you find one in your bed. However, if someone was afraid of dogs, they would freak out if they found a dog in their bed but maybe not mind finding a snake. It all depends on the individual.

@125, There are pretty significant differences between snakes and cats and dogs as pets. First of all, most people have a strong reaction to snakes, either fear or fascination. Scientists have known this for a long time, and there are all sorts of theories that it is a bit of remnant instinct from ancient primates. Beyond that, both dogs and cats have a social existence and some degree of empathy: to the snake you are just interactive furniture that feeds it. A snake being "friendly" typically means it doesn't mind being handled, not that it has any real social relationship with you. Dogs in particular are actually very unique in their degree of sociability. I am not bashing people who keep and love snakes, but it most certainly NOT the same as having a pet dog or cat.

Time to move out or find a new roommate buddy.

gintwinsmoore 20

aww the snake must like you then...sounds like anyway. And that bite on the chin, well, consider it a love bite. Lol kidding!

martin8337 35

To everyone on FML. *ahem* Snakes DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT lay next to you to decide whether they are going to eat you. This statement most certainly does include the large constrictors. I cannot believe that it needs to be said that ambush predators with millions of years of success who are trying to eat other animals and simultaneously not be eaten are indeed NOT dysfunctional enough to sit around and telegraph that they have decided that you look like today's entree.

stuff that ! your roommate should've kept his snake in his enclosure. maybe time for a new roommate .

I have a snake if you move fast around them they get uneasy and bite you, but once they bite you they never do it again