By Anonymous - 24/08/2014 20:45 - United States - Everett

Today, I witnessed my karate instructor whimper and practically piss himself as a guy walked up to him in the street and demanded his wallet. What a total waste of hundreds of dollars' worth of lessons. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 070
You deserved it 4 538

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well go rob him for your money back. Apparently it's pretty easy.

And you didn't do anything either....?

Comments

Thors_Hammer9999 17

did you know there is absolutely no regulations as to when you can open a Dojo?...that means that some guy who never got a blue belt can go put on a black belt and open a dojo before he ever masters the art? making the color system useless

drfifi 12

Thats not true at all you have to have be registered with karate clubs (which are unlikely to register you If youre not a black belt) you need crb checks first aid qualifications, insurance (again insurance companies would insure an inexperienced practisioner) and numerous other qualifications to 'coach'/teach karate especially to children.

dyehardxen 19
throwawaynumber1 2

Created an account just to dispel the sheer amount of uneducated opinions. Self defence does not dictate you always fight back. Show me where it says you should? You get out of a situation alive and unharmed? Congrats, you just defended yourself by taking the most efficient road to safety. Fighting should ONLY be used when you are certain, without violence, you (or another person) are not coming out unharmed. Is $100 really worth your life? God no, chuck it on the ground in front of the mugger and start moving away from them; it's just too risky, there are too many unknown variables in play. Secondly, no where is there a rule that great teachers must be great fighters. Yes, it's definitely better to be both, but you do not need to. You can be a crap fighter but fantastic teacher (the ability to connect and make students understand concepts is actually incredibly difficult), you can also be a great fighter and crap teacher. Furthermore, being trained in any form of fighting system you become HEAVILY scrutinized that you did not use excessive force. Many people have gone from defender to aggressor from counter attacking too much. The first thing that should be taught in self defence is how to get mugged properly (yes, you CAN get mugged badly, or you can give yourself slightly better odds). Don't freeze (mental training), don't give them any identifiable information if possible (drivers licence), don't care about keeping money/jewelry etc, give them what they want and get away as fast as possible (do not just stand there after you've given them your stuff like a deer in headlights). Half the time muggers are just as nervous as their targets, one wrong move on a jumpy mugger with a knife and you get stabbed. The other half have a routine they follow (they have practice at it), if you do what they want without causing an issue, they will usually get out before committing a larger crime which WILL get the hunted by the law. So many arm chair critics posting here with completely unrealistic comments. The disconnect from reality is incredible, and if anyone takes your opinion they could get seriously hurt.

drfifi 12

Karate isntstreet fighting... And if your opponent isnt using karate moves then the blocks meant to conteract specific moves wont be as effective. Plus if its one thing theyve taught us at karate (even if they happen to be doing a class of street fighting) that if a mugger asks for your wallet dont fight them and generally give it to them.

everyone reacts to robbery different, some panic (like I did when the place I work at got rob) and your mind goes blank. You don't think about fighting back or trying to be a hero, you just get scared and confused. It feels you don't know what to do, and you don't want to get harmed. Cut him some slack, if you took karate for just fighting back you did it for the wrong reason

OP,that is the time where you show the man the karate skills that you have learnt in front of your teacher.

When you're in a situation like that it's a whole other dynamic. No matter how prepared you are you never are truly prepared.

Your first lesson that karate sucks. Brazilian Jujitsu is more worth the money.

It's called Capoeira (I'm Brazilian so I know :D).