By unlucky - 16/12/2010 04:08 - United States

Today, I went with my sister to her company Christmas party. They had a gift raffle, my number was called and I won $25 for a local restaurant. A few moments later, the manager came over and said, "You don't work here? You can't have that" and took it from me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 536
You deserved it 7 137

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And the problem with pretending it belonged to your sister was...?

Ismellwin 0

I would think they would've told you that before you entered the raffle.

Comments

Ydi for being dumb enough to go to a company party and think you were allowed to win... I can't believe you posted on fml that you won something at a company picnic that wasn't your own and didn't get to keep it... Those are generally to help boost crew morale. All it was doing in your hands was pissing people off because you shouldn't even have been there..

That's stupid they would do that especially if theres a gift raffle. You'd think if you're invited you'd get all the benefits.

ad_astra_taurus 2

Exactly. At our company party, we were allowed one guest, and they were allowed to participate in raffles and other festivities--and got to keep their prizes. Our company can't afford to do parties anymore :•(, but I don't understand why the OP couldn't keep the gift certificate.

this fml depends entirely on whether the OP bought a ticket or not. if the raffle was just for employees then they shouldn't have given him one and if it was by purchase then they shouldn't have sold him one but he did pay so is entitled to the gift or a refund. stupid company tbh.

She should have never entered the raffle given that she wasn't employed at that company. And, had she fought giving back the prize, it would have affected her sister's job security (and rightfully so).

when you throw the party, you get to make the rules! quit crying.

I went to my husband's Christmas party last week and they gave out free raffle tickets to everyone, including spouses. I ended up winning the first prize ($25 gift card) and no one was bitter. Sounds like a crappy company party if they allow outside guests but give them restrictions AFTER you already bought your ticket.

I don't see a company having an issue with a spouse of an employee winning. Spouses frequently work hard and make sacrifices for the good of the company, too. The problem comes when guests that haven't had much to do with the company other than attend the party win a prize intended for an employee. I can totally understand the difference. Can't you?

KrazyKatz3 26

If you are allowed to bring guests they should be treated like your guests. Maybe the sister is unmarried and gave her plus one to her sister

Puumastafunk 0

Did you say "Ah, hell naw, nigga!" and punch him in his ***** mouth?

that's not FML that's common sense. family is usually allowed at company but usually can't win raffles. stop being a whiny girl