By anonymous001 - 08/01/2013 19:58 - Canada - Toronto

Today, I went to the movies with my crush, who had asked me out on a date. Assuming he'd pay, I left my money at home. When the time came to buy the tickets, he only bought one for himself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 920
You deserved it 68 856

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Contrary to popular belief it's ignorant to be so confident in this "rule" that you don't bring your own money, I believe it was totally deserved in this case. This doesn't mean I don't believe the guy should pay though so don't get confused.

Comments

Why is there more YDI!? Messed up /.

Because she shouldn't have just assumed that he was going to pay, it's rude on her part.

Razi_tail 25

It's because that was a stupid move on OP's part. You should never just assume that your date would pay and it's more respectful to at least offer anyway. As the Lion King says...be prepared!

Women who just assume the man will pay their way will be sorely disappointed to find it in the form of cab fare on the night stand.

OP should have had some cash on her, even if only just to have gotten a cab ride home.

yesio12 13

That's why you should never assume :/

Even if he was paying, I'd still bring my money- you never know what might happen. Also, you need money to buy snacks.

ErictheRed 5

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Right, so you never eat popcorn while watching a movie.

makenna2011 6

YDI for assuming that. Maybe he wanted to go as friends. And even if he was going to pay, you should have offered.

Exactly. There's nothing that turns me off more than a girl who expects the guy to pay for everything on a date. If the girl offers I gladly pay for her and if the rest of the date went well I will most definitely see if they were interested to go out again. If this had happened to me I'd probably say there would not be a second date.

I hate when a guy wants to pay for me. I'm an adult, his equal, I don't need to be paid for

That's unfortunate, 107. I'm an adult and Mr. Besos' equal, and I feel that it's nice to treat someone, and to also be treated when it comes to dates or random surprises. To each their own, I suppose. I know people in my personal circle who have a very hard time accepting gifts or kind actions (not uncommon), but often those people fail to realize that it really makes the gifter feel good, too. It gives me the warm fuzzies to do something nice for someone, especially when they least expect it. As for OP: it's been said- You can't ever Expect something like that. Even if it is the first date, and he did ask you- it never hurts to be prepared. What if his card got declined? Things happen, and there isn't a stone-set rule when it comes dates and paying.

TheDrifter 23

Consider it a bribe. He's paying in hopes of getting on his date's good side, a little financial down payment on the hopes of a low stress evening.

At the first date you shouldn't be paying for the other persons company you should be learning a little about each other and having fun. I tend to pay for everything on a date but I feel that a first date or 2 are definitely a Dutch situation if the girl isn't at least willing to pay her way then she is not nearly as interested in the date as I am and I feel slighted to some extent. It's one thing if you don't have the money and let me know up front then if I still asked you to come out (which I often do) I will pay for everything without any thought. I have more than once though ran into the gold digging type who just wants me to buy them dinner and pay their way without any willingness to consider paying... Side note I once paid the waiter while my "date" was in the restroom and tipped him generously to let her sweat it out. She had used me like an ATM all day long and I was fed up when she came back I asked for the "check" and if he would split it up for us. She panicked and said she didn't bring any money at all I handed her $50 which was enough for either cab fare or her bill (she had several expensive drinks) but not both and told her what I thought of her behavior and left... Going back later the waiter told me she waited 10 minutes before running out on what she thought was an open bill... Classy girl... She was mad but it was worth it to me. Before you guys say it was mean I provided cab fare and had already paid for dinner and tip the waiter was going to tell her the score when she tried to pay but she just skipped.

TheDrifter 23

I still generally pay on the first date, but I'm REALLY old fashioned, still working on getting myself into the twentieth century, but finances have been kind to me, and most anyone I date knows it, so I deliberately choose low cost locations and activities for the first few dates. I don't really care about a cheap dinner bill, or the cover charge to local attractions, but my dates reactions, both to my choices and my paying tell me a lot about them as a person. You would be amazed how many so called dates walk out or get visibly upset when I pull up to my favorite diner rather than having reservations at some fancy steak house.

Yes it's common for the guy to pay for the lady, but you HAVE to be prepared and have money just in case. You shouldn't have assumed or you could have sorted it out beforehand.

tj5810 21

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

YDI because never assume. Pretty bold of you to be so confident he would pay and worse yet to walk out your house without money. Lesson learned I hope. Not every man is a chivalrous knight in armour.

You probably shouldn't have made any assumptions. Although lots of people think it's nicer and more traditional for the guy to pay, it's not necessarily what will happen. You can't just expect that kind of thing from someone. They're people, not credit cards. If he never said he was going to pay, don't assume it. Besides, shouldn't you carry spare money anyway? You never know when you might need a bit of cash. I'm not saying you have to empty your bank account whenever you go out, but carrying some with you can get you out of all sorts of trouble. Otherwise, there may be a day when you desperately need something and can't pay for it.

I bet you expected him to buy you snacks and a drink maybe even popcorn...come on OP times are hard.

Why did you go out without ANY money? You never know what could happen...