By Nathan - 23/03/2009 20:09 - United States

Today, I went to see a therapist for the first time because I've been feeling depressed lately. I opened up and said everything that was on my mind. I really spilled my guts. After a good 30 minutes, her first question was, "Do you always talk this much?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 75 312
You deserved it 7 868

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually I know from expierence that this is not a lie. I went to a therapist for the same reason and she asked me what had been on my mind, I have hard time opening up to people as it is but figured that it was her job to listen (plus I was paying her enough to listen) after telling her everything and tell her how I felt, she looked at me straight in the face and told me I talked too much!

Oh, I thought people went to therapists to talk about their problems. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Comments

No no dude, that really isn't what you think. It sounds like she genuinely wanted to know how much you talk to people (in ordinary settings outside the office), and phrased it very badly, probably without noticing. My therapist often mentions how freely I'm able to talk inside her office, whereas I have serious anxiety issues in normal settings. It sounds a lot like something she's said, actually; asking me how freely I talk to people outside and to what degree I hold conversations. I could be wrong, she could just be a douchebag. You were the only one who heard her tone of voice when she said it. But trust me, that is the kind of question that they ask.

Well, that therapist is a bitch. I agree with everyone who told you not to pay her. XD

naa its a fair question, he comes in with depression- speaks rapidly for 30 minutes- tends to be what people with manic depression do win manic phases

Ouch! That happened to me too when I was on a college interview and I was discussing my portfolio with a professor. At least 15 minutes of talking about my portfolio and artistic style he said "you really like to talk, don't you." Some people are just rude.

Herbal_fml 0

I agree. It's totally a fair question, it's not rude. She's not a bitch, and you shouldn't stop seeing her based on this.

Well what if she was just wondering if you ever spoke to anyone else about this? LOL. Not to make you feel worse; I'm just giving out positive ideas. ; )

stepup0220 0

what a douche of a therapist.

I think it's one of those things therapists can be expected to ask, and you're supposed to not get offended, but yes, I agree with the poster: I think it's still snarky! For instance, the therapist could've gently interrupted at times, or made a comment sooner, in order to not let the patient embarrass themselves, instead of letting them be "brutally honest," and then basically punishing them. How about, "You sure sound like you have a lot to say about your life."