By arrestedgun - 23/05/2009 07:37 - Canada

Today, I went to a dollar store with a couple friends to buy cap guns to play with. We were having a lot of fun with them, and took them onto a bus. 5 minutes later, three cops got on, handcuffed us, and sternly talked to us about the dangers of guns. We got arrested for toy guns. We are 17. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 398
You deserved it 58 624

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Everyone who thinks he deserved it because he's 17 and still playing with toy guns should realise that staying young at heart is important. I feel sorry for people unlike the OP, who never play any games.

chimmy 0

Some places, like transportation vehicles and depots, choose to not allow guns of any type... even toy guns, since police officers mistake them for real guns. (Which apparently happened here.) Stupid, but there you go, luckily they didnt shoot to disarm/kill you.

Comments

This isn't surprising considering the pervasive level of hoplophobia in this country. You're lucky you weren't arrested and stuffed in a cell with hardened criminals.

The phrases "toy guns" and "We are 17." being so close to each other should have made you realize the post needed to end in YDI, not FML.

The phrases "toy guns" and "We are 17." being so close to each other should have made you realize the post needed to end in YDI, not FML.

Playing with toy guns like nerf or airsoft at 17 isn't TOO weird, but cap guns aren't really age appropriate. YDI for getting on a bus with anything that even remotely LOOKED like a weapon, public transportation people are really jumpy nowadays

xO_starstruck_xO 0

YDI for buying toy guns at a dollar store at 17. at least go to toys r us?!

kellster 2

I'm so glad to know that America is still fully selling the concept of guns = toys. There is no hope for this world. YDI for buying into it, and also for being so stupid. Of course cops were going to react if they saw something that looked even slightly like a weapon. That's their job. Grow up and realize there's a whole big world around you, sweetheart.

you totally and completely deserved it morons

You do not bring guns onto a bus. YDI. #55 "FYl but this is a fake. police officers knoiw the difference between fake and real by the colored tip of the gun. Any one with a fucing brain can tell the difference". Yes, that's why criminals paint their guns to look like toys. You can't assume it's a fake just because it looks like one. How would it look if the cops ignored someone with a "toy" gun, only to have them shoot someone?

50srefugee 0

I think #92 is referring to #74, in which some students were convicted of a misdemeanor for modifying toy guns to be used as props while filming a movie. The police, and the law they were enforcing, are absolutely ridiculous. Using a modified toy gun to, say, hold up a store would be one thing. The act of modifying the gun and using it for an innocuous purpose ought not to be actionable. The OP to this FML says nothing about modifying the cap guns -- and the last time I looked, I couldn't find a cap gun that could be modified to plausibly resemble a real gun. All you "17 + cap gun = YDI" folks out there: There is no law against a person of any age possessing a cap gun. Doing something that makes you look silly or immature is not illegal. No, not even a little bit. And, dag nab it, cap guns are fun. If you don't understand that, you have my deepest sympathy. I am 50+; I've played with cap guns within the last two years.