By Anonymous - 16/11/2012 23:59 - United Kingdom - Eastbourne

Today, I went to a big job interview. Everything went well at first, with the interviewer being impressed by my CV. I was then interrogated over not having a Facebook account, and practically accused of being a criminal, because people without them "always have something to hide". FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 681
You deserved it 1 925

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, what are you trying to hide? On a more serious note, if they're that suspicious, you might not want to work with them anyway.

Well, that sucks a tonne, Facebook is overrated anyway.

Comments

So only people with something to hide don't have a Facebook account? I wonder what it is that I'M hiding then...

Where you keep the bodies of the people in your profile pictures, obviously.

Shit I wonder what I'm hiding too...... I'm going to go find out.

I don't have a Facebook because I'm hiding a hatred for people I see too much of anyway. Work colleagues and neighbours this means you.

It's pretty depressing that we judge people by their social lives during job interviews now and not their actual life and work experience.

Facebook has a lot of personal information on it and it's easy to get a glimpse of who the person really is.

Capt_Oblivious 10

I post all my evil plots and schemes on Facebook, I have nothing to hide. Still wondering why I keep getting caught though. Perhaps there's a connection...

How dare you not have a social media page to give away your secrets?! I can't believe you'd be that cruel!! ... Said no one ever

totheforest84 4

Well according to a supreme court ruling here in America it is illegal for a company to use Facebook to check weather a potential candidate is a fit for the job. So sounds to me they broke the law.

The entire world is not America ;), for example, the OP is in the UK. Despite being a UK resident myself, I'm unsure of the legal status of demanding Facebook credentials here, but I'd tell them to get lost if they tried.

No such ruling exists. Plus it wouldn't apply as OP is in the UK.

an old schoolmate of mine who now works for a big firm as an interviewer told me that they have a FB admin password that allows them to view everything except your private messages in your FB account, no matter of your privacy settings

I highly doubt that. From an IT point of view, that makes zero sense and just sounds like a tall tale to me.

well, its not something i ve just "heard". I know this guy personally and he s definitely not lying. I live in germany btw.

Silent_Thrill 17

Yeah dude, I totally believe you! It reminds me of this time my friend had sex with Sasquatch and made a family of big foots that was then hunted down by aliens after they killed all the cowboys in 1997. Trust me, this happened, I personally know the guy.

Who said that it has to make any sense? look at the OP case. criticizing him for not having a Facebook account....

Look, it's this simple: if FB are handing out back door passwords that defeat privacy controls on their service to all and sundry, then they are 1) not protecting user data, which is certainly a crime in Europe, 2) providing privacy controls under false pretence and probably asking for legal action. The only people that FB will release data to should be law enforcement and those requests will be monitored. So no, it's highly unlikely your mate has back door keys to Facebook - always possible, but highly unlikely. I hear many urban legends or outright lies like this, including hilarious claims of what I can do with my work network admin rights - by the tales I hear, I am all seeing lol (of course we tend not to advertise what we really can't see!).

#58 What should happen is an assumption. what mostly really happens is not what it should, but yea, you re probably right. i dont want to comment any further on the matter. personally, i dont care. i barely use FB and i think it sucks.

totheforest84 4

That is why i specified in America, my phone doesn't tell me where an OP is from only that their name is anonymous. It is an illegal invasion of privacy if used to discriminate. Also violates the Facebook account policy. They can only use it if you show your profile to the world if you have it private. It is illegal if they use a backdoor, have someone other than an employee of the company doing the hiring check Facebook for background check purposes(they can't use outside sources), access your account with an alias. Im not saying sue (that would be silly) but it is good to be aware is all Im saying, but no it is not entirely legal or illegal depends on how it is used again, here in America.

olpally 32

Really?? That's crazy talk... Lol.

grndNpnd 6

Its better not to have fb. I dont have one.