By Anonymous - 16/11/2012 23:59 - United Kingdom - Eastbourne

Today, I went to a big job interview. Everything went well at first, with the interviewer being impressed by my CV. I was then interrogated over not having a Facebook account, and practically accused of being a criminal, because people without them "always have something to hide". FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 682
You deserved it 1 925

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, what are you trying to hide? On a more serious note, if they're that suspicious, you might not want to work with them anyway.

Well, that sucks a tonne, Facebook is overrated anyway.

Comments

I don't understand why potential employers are so insistent about knowing all the personal details about their applicants these days. I've even heard that some employers ask that their applicants give them their Facebook passwords, and I find that rather hard to believe. Personal details about your life should only be shared among friends, and employers should keep a professional distance, unless of course you and them get along really well and develop a trust around each other.

In a job market where any opening can generate hundreds if not thousands of applications, companies want a way to sort through applications quickly and without having to put too much effort in. Sadly, "Was photographed doing a kegstand five years ago" seems to be one such criterion. Pretty soon we're gonna hit a point where only the ten percent of us who are completely dead-boring and never did anything questionable, dubious, or shady in our entire lives will be the only people who can get a job. What an awful world that will be.

I agree that it would be frightening. And what about the people who don't use Facebook or any other social media sites? Would employers not hire them because they can't verify them and therefore can't trust them? What I really don't agree with is an employer asking for applicants' passwords. Giving someone your passwords is like giving someone the key to your house for them to come in and snoop around. It's really not necessary, and I'd think it would be against the law as an invasion of privacy.

Maria_Obligacia 14

"never have done anything shady" is absolutely not the same as 'boring". And "stupid" is absolutely not the same as "fun" ;)

Bs i dont have a fb because its overrated

Make a MySpace page and show that at your next interview, lol

I would refuse to discuss whether or not I have a presence on facebook during the interview... unless its for a social media related position, its totally irrelevant. Best not to say anything because its not the norm, and super-extroverted people will judge you harshly for not being a part of this trend.

saffy66 34

Checking out potential employees on Facebook is a big thing for many employers. If your lack of a Facebook account comes up in future interviews, be prepared with a really sensible-sounding answer - like "I value my privacy and I prefer to deal with people face to face or via telephone". Sorry about the job OP. Incidentally I have Facebook but in a false name for reasons related to my work. It's not a crime not to want to have it.

This has happened to me too. I remember that they pointed out that I dont have FB before I had a chance to inform them I dont. That means they had already checked on themselves... Felt horrible!!

I think his logic is backwards. From all my studies of the worst criminals, they are eager for others to praise them, or react otherwise, but most yearn for attention. Screw that job OP. If they are willing to dismiss you over something so insignificant, be glad and walk away.

Hmmmm I guess I have something to hide as well, as I also do not have Facebook.. Talk about paranoid.

Stupid logic. I have no criminal history and don't have a Facebook account and never will.