By FarewellRalphs - 24/05/2017 20:00

Today, I went grocery shopping with my grandmother. Our bagger offered to help load our groceries, to which my grandmother replied, "Oh, what a nice young colored boy." FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 189
You deserved it 357

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well...At least she didn't use the "N" word.

"Nice little colored boy," is not a compliment. If it were a white boy, she wouldn't have used his skin color to describe him. Secondly, she seemed surprised that the boy was doing something nice, because "colored" people are sometimes assumed to always do the opposite.

Comments

Well...At least she didn't use the "N" word.

Well she did use an "n" word to describe him. Fortunately it wasn't the "N" word.

She's probably super old... can't expect much more from her.

MinahMocha 10

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

"Nice little colored boy," is not a compliment. If it were a white boy, she wouldn't have used his skin color to describe him. Secondly, she seemed surprised that the boy was doing something nice, because "colored" people are sometimes assumed to always do the opposite.

Plot twist... he was hispanic or asian. I'm dying to know what the nice colored boy's reaction was.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Who are the seven people that don't like the fact that what's kosher to say changes? Two examples: Stephen King writes about an interracial couple that were born several decades apart (time travel was involved). She's black, he's white, she gets annoyed when she gets called black because growing up, that was a slur (colored, like the grandma says, was the accepted term). He says if he called a kid "colored" growing up, he'd have gotten beat up. Second: read what Lincoln (you know, dude who ended up FREEING THE SLAVES) had to say about black people. He was so radical, he broke the country, but he'd be considered super racist today. Learn your history; the things you say and think today will probably be very offensive to the people of 80 years from now.

Druu 53

Just because something was acceptable once does not mean it's still acceptable now. Next time you get a toothache, pack some willow bark into your mouth instead of going to a dentist. I'm the ninth thumbs down.

As a person of color (half white, half black, if you're curious), I'm inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt. Is it frowned upon now? Sure. Was it when she was growing up? Probably not. I went to school with two kids that would give me crap for being (partially) black. One was kidding. The other had family in the Klan. You can tell the difference between someone who means it negatively and someone who doesn't. She didn't (probably). By the way-- the willow bark thing? Not a one to one comparison. I grew up with a dentist. I also grew up calling people "black." I've yet to make the switch to African-American (which I think is the term now) unless they're actually *from* Africa (I know a few people like that; I also refuse to call some of my friends 'Italian American,' so it's fair). Point being, if I don't do it (and many of my family members on both sides my age don't either), how can I reasonably expect someone much older than me to do so? Lotta glass in the house, so I don't throw stones-- I would hope that when I'm that age and say something like "homosexual" that my grandkids show me more mercy than you guys do.

it's all in the context. Considering some of the idiotic things people used to say and believe about different races, using the word "colored" isn't a big deal.

At least grandma thought he was nice!

reymon8823 24

depends on the time frame your grandma grew up in

if your grandma grew up in the 30s to 50s then this probably isn't unusual.

I understand how you feel OP. I was with my grandmother at a fundraiser dinner for my church where they introduced the (new/Caucasian) pastor (my sister and I took her there, this was not her church). She looked around confused and said "I thought your pastor was that nice dark fellow" (this wasn't her first event at the church so she'd met the lead pastor who is black [He doesn't identify as African-American as we're Canadian]

There's part of me that's going, "That sucks," but at the same time, you have to understand that her culture and ours is different. For old folks like our grandparents, they always used term "colored" for blacks whereas we would never use that term since it would be as offensive as "N" word. So with the cultural differences taken into considerations, it's not bad at all. In fact, for someone like her, it's really a compliment. One of my professors who's also black was told by an elderly white man that she's the "prettiest colored girl" he'd ever seen. Even she started to take offense to it at first until reminding herself that his generation is completely different from ours.