By the bad artist - 10/09/2012 00:12 - Australia - Sydney

Today, I was talking to an art critic at an exhibition. He told me that the artist had no talent and went on to tell me everything wrong with each painting. I'd painted them all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 382
You deserved it 2 613

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well in fairness if you got them showcased in an exhibition surely somebody finds your work good! Besides that don't let critics stop you from painting if it makes you happy.

Im sorry..you just gotta choose how to handle what he said, possibly use it as constructive criticism?

Comments

That stings, but if you can't take criticism, you're probably pursuing the wrong career.

TcheQ 12

There's nothing wrong with honest criticism, even if the person is a jackass in the way they deliver it. Analyse what he said, and if you think any of the comments were relevant, or could be employed in your next piece, use it! not everyone is going to enjoy your work: get used to it, and appeal to the people who DO like it.

mizteri 1

Art is good to its creator. If the creator dislikes it. It is bad. If it is exactly how the creator wants it. It is magnificent. Everyone else's comments are unnecessary and ridiculous. They either like it or dislike it, as with everything. As an artist.....**** what other people think...well unless you're making your art for other people...if that is the case...there will be many more criticism going your way.

Maybe he just didn't like your style, but somebody else definitely will. Keep at it!

Dont worry OP many of the great artists never painted to please the critics.

So how did you get into the exhibition in the first place?

based on the information here, I think the critic's impression was not so much based on his personal "liking",but more on technical issues. OP: you'll know best, as you have received the individual hints where to improve.