By iskiel - 26/10/2014 05:53 - Australia - Melbourne

Today, I was shopping at my workplace, out of uniform, with my husband. A customer recognised me and wanted me to serve him, but I couldn't since we can be fired for doing so while off-duty. He complained to my manager, who wasted no time publicly bitching me out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 260
You deserved it 2 665

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So wait, the person who is in authority, and should know the rules complains that you follow the rules? I think we know who really needs firing here!

Comments

Wow OP you deserve better than that.

jad0016 12

Really? I thought this FML was very polite a nice ass chewing is a great thing to get by your boss off the clock

sheesh, why would someonefire an employee for helping people and beimg genuine on and off the clock??

Because if they didn't, the employee could file a complaint to the government and get them fined for them working without being paid

incoherentrmblr 21

I guess customers think workers don't have a life outside of their job...

I work at a cell phone store as the manager, as we have loads of fun. The retail life there is da bomb diggity.

Why the hell would you get fired for helping a customer off-duty?!?

Employers have to follow whatever state laws mandate for break schedules, lunch requirements, and limiting what an employee can't do off the clock. These are in place to protect the worker from being "encouraged" to work off the clock (without pay) or skip breaks to get something done sooner. Violations of these laws can have massive fines attached, which is why companies will begrudgingly be anal-retentive about such matters. At least, the ones that don't have managers/owners that care about the quality of life of their workers...

So wait, the person who is in authority, and should know the rules complains that you follow the rules? I think we know who really needs firing here!

Hopefully you told your manager to politely suck it .

Well obliviously not since he or she bitched her out.

Never to late to defend yourself. The customer and the manager are both vein extremely unreasonable, I know I personally would say something back. Not that I'd be right to do so .

Yea I'm watching football. Trying to process type and watch. I applaud your quick response .

How do you politely tell someone to suck it...? "Here's a popsicle."?

I'm not sure I like your attitude towards me while I'm off duty. Please consider getting on both knees and suck it softly. Thank you for your time and understanding . I believe that's as nice as I could say it. Or like the student that was smoking a while ago. Suck my dick bitch is fairly effective . Rude, but effective.

Miss_Terri 2

Duh, follow Shawn and Gus' version: "Dear so and so, you are cordially invited to suck it."

She's off the clock. She very well could. Also, as her husband, I would've bitched her boss out for crossing a line like that right in front of me. And if he dared fire her, they would get sued BIG time!!

call hr and on get employee relations on his/her ass!

DontClickOnMe 28

That's dumb that the customer even requested that if you're obviously not on the clock if you're not in uniform.

Dr_Strange 4

I agree. The customer is being much more ridiculous then the manager in this situation. OP wasn't in uniform and honestly the customer sounds like a real ass-hat.

Your manager easily could have explained the situation or the customer, or just offered to help out the customer personally.

Exactly. Proof that the manager is a jerk.

both the manager and customer sounds like jerks..

"I'm not working at the moment, but let me just go and get someone for you who can help," is what I would have said.

Ya but it's written in the FML that they could be fired for doing that ! that's why she didn't serve him.

It's not technically serving someone if she offered to get help from someone else.

oops sorry i misread your comment! i know entirely my fault. i read someone as something.. so didn't finish reading the whole FML.

If I'm not working, I'm not going to go find someone to help you. That's something you do while at work

Your manager should know the rules, (s)he is in no postition to bitch you out on your day off. I'd do somethng about that. FYL OP and sorry you had to go through that.

jthmtwin 16

Gotta say that sucks but, if it's not like a grocery store or something like that you could shop at a different place on your day off?

Maybe op gets an employee discount at his/her work