By jalapenos99 - 02/04/2009 00:36 - United States

Today, I was playing in a basketball game and blocked this kid's shot. I was really pumped up about it until I realized the kid had cerebral palsy and the coach put him on the team because he really wanted to be on at least one team in his life. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 613
You deserved it 54 877

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Inspired22 11

I don't think you should feel bad. I'd be pretty upset if I had a disability and everyone played easy on me. That would just be humiliating!

You shouldn't feel bad, you didn't know and I don't see how YDI at all. Plus, the kid was probably happy everyone wasn't just going to let him do whatever.

Comments

KwitIt 0

Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought the reason the OP found this an FML was that the only time he's able to block a shot is when it's a kid with cerebral palsy who shot it. But I see what the rest of you are saying, too. I would feel bad if I blocked the shot, but I don't think the OP should feel bad, because he was just treating the kid like anyone else. And #9, I think your idea is really sweet.

aoife123 0

I think it's probably both! I noticed that too

yep, i'm with #12 the whole reason disabled people perform activities is so they feel equal with everyone else. when it comes to sports, you play 100% and give no one a break. that's what they would want. they don't want to be handed a win or an easy game. you did good, man.

I'm with a bunch of other people who have commented. Treat the disabled player like any other player; to do otherwise is patronizing. I love how these people who are clicking "YDI" aren't commenting with anything coherent.

hmmm well u werent aware 1st thing n well he wanted to play as one of u so i dont think u should feel guilty about tht

Neottia 0

Don't feel bad, he's just another kid.. I am sure he wanted to be treated fairly. It's okay.

samhat 0

FIrst, you didnt have to be informed he had CP in the first place. So dont feel bad you didnt know. And from personal experience, its a good thing you didnt, becasue then you probably wouldnt have blocked that shot, and he would have felt like the game was fixed. A majority of people with disabilities can kick ass in sports. -just a sidenote, i think the coach sounds like a jerk for putting him on the team for pity. Kid sounds like a good player. people who dont think disabled people can participate in 'normal' sports are assholes.

vt_mruhlin 0

Eh, the team are all "good people" for letting him play, but no fault to you for kicking his ass. That's part of the experience.

finalyearsofhate 22

'good people' for letting him play? you're an ass. not everyone with cp needs handouts. my fiance has cp and has done amazing things, all without any sort of handout from 'good people' who just do crap to feel good about themselves.

I think the real FML is that he was "really pumped up" about having blocked a shot that would most likely have been pretty easy to block.

well, you didn't know...but i understand you must be feeling awful about this... oh, cerebral palsy... man, that's not cool, but it wasn't your fault.

GlambertGirl93 0

CP isn't that bad unless you have it really bad. I have CP :)