By ClothesHorse - 12/10/2012 19:00 - United States - Houston

Today, I was kicked out of a job interview at a clothing store for "not dressing appropriately" for the occasion. I'd purchased my outfit from the same store just two days prior with my last $100. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 705
You deserved it 5 441

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you point that out to the interviewer? I'd also like to know what it was you wore. Just because a company sells halter tops and short-shorts doesn't make it an appropriate outfit to interview with.

perdix 29

Yes, if you want to work at Victoria's Secret, you don't show up at the interview wearing a silk teddy and fishnet stockings. I'm hiring, though, and that outfit will totally work for me;)

Comments

That sucks, but if the prospective employer can't show basic respect during the interview phase, it's not a company you want to work for. Move on, there's better out there.

I'm confused, how is it disrespectful to tell a prospective employee they aren't dressed appropriately? She put what he said in quotes, so it's safe to say he didn't say "get the hell out of here you slutty harlot!"

I fail to see where the disrespectful part is? Have we, as a society, become so sensitive that simply telling someone that they are not dressed to their employees standards that it is disrespectful? If you want to dress a certain way then expect and be ready to deal with the consequences of it.

thatoneguy79 10

OP's comment leaves me with the impression that the interviewer was less than cordial or professional with their delivery. I envision the interviewer walking the room, taking a look at OP, and reading them the riot act. If I were conducting the interview, I would give them the opportunity to present themselves instead of making snap judgement. The employer obviously saw something they liked in the resume in order to offer an interview. I would certainly take their attire into consideration, but it would not be the only factor as it appears to have been here. Maybe the employer should simply sit in front of a store that sell clothes they consider appropriate and offer jobs to people that bought stuff there.

iipinkette 16

Seems kind of messed up considering you bought your clothes there.

Maybe they didn't like how you wore the outfit. Sounds like something from those uptight jerks at Hollister

Just because the store sold the clothes doesn't make them appropriate to work in. They might have shown too much cleavage, been too short of a skirt (if it was a skirt/dress) or maybe they where just too casual in general. It's a good idea to see what the people in the store are wearing to get an idea of what the dress code is. Typically on an interview you want to dress one level above what they actually wear to make a good impression.

olpally 32

That's very rude of them... Forget them op... You can do so much better... But, as others have mentioned or asked about above me, what the hell were you wearing to make them kick you out??? If you look like meg, I could see why... Haha.

It's not rude at all. She was the one interviewing for them not the other way around.

olpally 32

That's the thing, if she was wearing something inappropriate, then yeah, kick her out, but she really wanted the job and tried to impress them by buying their clothes... Not enough info from op... I'd really like to know what she was wearing, since the fml doesn't say so, her life sucks...

With the way people dress now, and the way society in general can be. I imagine it was really something very inappropriate for then to stop the interview then and there... That or she just had a hard ass interviewer. Either way IMHO unless the company sold business wear (which she purchased) then it would be pretty inappropriate to show up in

32 - Because the interviewer said the clothes were inappropriate (and OP did not contradict this), we have to assume they were, in fact, inappropriate. As others have said, just because she got the clothes there does not make them appropriate interview clothes. The interviewer was not at all out of line.

domo7261 3

Are you retarted. Just because they sell cloths there dosent mean there appropriate for an interview. Cant go to an interview at foot locker in bball shorts, jordans and a fitted cap. Of course ydi. I would have kicked you out too.

#36- OMG so many spelling grammar issues! Speak just like that in an interview and you will get kicked out too!

holyshitbatman 20

just because you bought an outfit from that store doesnt make it appropriate for an interview...

Really need more information here... was it a store that sells casual clothes? revealing clothes? dress clothes? skater clothes? You are suposed to dress up one level higher of what you would wear to work.. so maybe the clothes are ok for working in, but not for interviewing in. I need to know more to say ydi or fyl.

U shud u have either looked at others working in the store, or mentioned it to the interviewer. And I wud also recommend being smarter about money if it was u r last $100, go rerun the items, next time go to target!

redhedsaysrawr 18

Looks like Dolan took over this site to... *sigh*