By ClothesHorse - 12/10/2012 19:00 - United States - Houston

Today, I was kicked out of a job interview at a clothing store for "not dressing appropriately" for the occasion. I'd purchased my outfit from the same store just two days prior with my last $100. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 705
You deserved it 5 441

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you point that out to the interviewer? I'd also like to know what it was you wore. Just because a company sells halter tops and short-shorts doesn't make it an appropriate outfit to interview with.

perdix 29

Yes, if you want to work at Victoria's Secret, you don't show up at the interview wearing a silk teddy and fishnet stockings. I'm hiring, though, and that outfit will totally work for me;)

Comments

Did you point that out to the interviewer? I'd also like to know what it was you wore. Just because a company sells halter tops and short-shorts doesn't make it an appropriate outfit to interview with.

Wow, it didn't take long for the idiotic assumptions to start spewing!

4 - That's why I said I'd like to know, dumbass. I was pointing out that not everything a clothing company sells would necessarily be appropriate for an interview; it was an example, not an assumption.

maxmex13 7

1 - I don't think halter tops and short-shorts cost $100...

4 - That's why I said I'd like to know. I was pointing out that not everything a clothing company sells would necessarily be appropriate for an interview; it was an example, not an assumption.

mduffy08 8

4 - except he didn't assume anything... It doesn't take long to read either, try it sometime.

25 - Depends where you shop. I have (unfortunately) seen a halter top alone come in at more than $100. I myself will stick to Kohls and consignment stores, thank you very much.

Better yet; What if this store only sold lingeries (expensive ones)?! Now my mind's going in all kind of directions...

GuessWhatKids 13

YDI for spending your last $100 on clothes.

56, if OP was trying to help the chances of getting the job, it would make sense to spend money and buy NICE clothes. However, there is a such thing as OVER dressing. If you look like you think you are too good for the job, they probably will not hire you.

TrinityisLife 22
lexi365 20

Clothes at shops in malls are pretty expensive.

29- I am a manager at Kohls. Trust me, everything is overpriced. Even the clearance. You're better off spending your money somewhere else.

Hell, the clothing store in question could've been Victoria's Secret... It's expensive, and I'd sure kick her out if she came to an interview in lingerie.

Kohls has VERY good prices and always has sales. We talkin about the same store??

She probably expected to make back the money with her new job...

free2speak 14

The only one store I can think of that is capable of this much douchebaggery is Abercrombie & Fitch. I used to work there and they require that you dress in their clothes without explicitly saying it and they hire based on looks. It was my first job as a 16 year old and i quickly learned that there is absolutely nothing glorious about working there when you only get paid minimum wage and most of my managers were late 20's/early 30's kids who got off on hitting on younger girls and yes, sleeping with the "prettier ones".

More details!! Who know it could of been à Victoria secrets :)

Or try not to look for formal wear in the Halloween section next time. ;)

55 - Oh a bit of indulgence, English is probably not the first language of whoever has autocorrect adding accent on their words ;) I feel the pain! Believe me, we try!

kdog333 1

what kind of store are you working at?

Sorry, but if you're being kicked out because your clothes were just that inappropriate for the job, you probably deserved it. Buying from their store doesn't necessarily make it okay. Now put your clothes back on; Victoria's Secret just didn't want you this time.

MuseFanatic 8

You sound a bit angry there. Just because she didn't dress appropriately doesn't mean she was dressed like a *****.. It might have meant that she just dressed a little too casually for that job interview. No need to rant

I never said that at all; I just find it a little upsetting when people can't see the difference between casual and business attire- they're pretty different, and it isn't too hard to figure out. As for the ***** comment… well, now you're really assuming things. I don't think I even insinuated she was whorish, unless you took my little joke at the end too seriously.

I find it amusing that you posted the same joke as Perdix (before him), yet he's got loads of thumbs up and you're getting buried.

50. It's probably because he is Perdix and everyone just thumbs up because he is popular and stuff.... Or he is just better at commenting :)

perdix 29

Yes, if you want to work at Victoria's Secret, you don't show up at the interview wearing a silk teddy and fishnet stockings. I'm hiring, though, and that outfit will totally work for me;)

Perdix I'm pretty sure you're always hiring.

I thought it was "Victoria's not-so-secret".

Noor- if Perdix asks you what veggies you want on your pizza, do you ever say 'nun'?

Victoria's secret is simple...she's a ****

Not being creeper but its interesting to have seen you and perdix on fml for the past year =D

Perdix, seeing as you're hiring, does this include all shapes and sizes of women? There are a lot of people looking for jobs these days.(I'll probably get voted down for this but this is a legitimate question.) *Enters sarcasm here*

haileyshelton 14

Actually, Victoria's Secret is she's actually a man. Named Victor.

alexhaz64 4

Well hopefully your outfit will meet the standards for other interviews. Just keep trying!

Steve95401 49

You deserve it for buying clothes from the Kardashian Kollection.

kut17 11

Kim, Khloe, and Kourtney. a.k.a. the KKK, okay?

unknown_user5566 26

If you weren't dressed in business casual attire (at the minimum), then you probably WEREN'T dressed appropriately. Interviews are about making a good first impression, so wearing clothes from the store itself probably made you seem too casual.

devore504 7

to sell outfits? who wears a suit for a job to sell jeans

missyj0 12

people who want to be taken seriously. Just because they might let you where casual clothes while working doesn't mean they want you showing up like to an interview where you are meant to look your best and give a good first impression.

34 - the type of people that will be your boss.

I agree with 35. Even an interview with a fast food company should be taken seriously and dress appropriately. At least a button down and khakis

devore504 7

Nope not my boss cause I am gonna have my own law office

You would be suprised at how people come to interviews these days. I've gone so some where women do not wear a bra and men just wear any old t-shirt. I find it disrespectful. Almost as disrespectful as going in front of a judge in pajamas, but that is another subject. People, dress to IMPRESS, not depress.

Is anyone else reminded of step brothers?

66 - I doubt, by your initial comment to this thread , that you're going to have your own firm straight out of college ...

devore504 7

Why is everyone hating on me? Didnt say it would be right out of law school. Also I am a very smart person I dont think how I dress makes me dumb. I would wear a suit because I want to work in a law office so I know I cant dress like a bum.

Kristoffer 35

I wore a suit to my interview at Wal-Mart. I dunno if it was necessary, but I walked out of there with a Conditional Offer of Employment. Been working there a year now.

devore504 7

great u wore a suit now u get to work in a store with rats great life you have

OP, you should've been a little more specific with what you wore, but since you weren't....BRING ON THE HATERS.

I have no idea why you spent your last $100 on clothes at Hank's House o' Hos in the first place, but wearing those rags to a job interview is just plain stupid.

Hey doc bastard isn't posting patient stories against hippa?

banshee88 18

It's actually hipaa. One P, 2A. Good try though