By Anonymous - 17/09/2009 07:05 - United States

Today, I was diagnosed with diabetes. I went to tell my grandpa, who immediately said, "I'm sorry, let's go get ice cream to cheer you up." FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 920
You deserved it 3 930

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awwww does he even know what diabetes is?

Probably just slipped out out of habit. When one of my friends is down we always suggest going out to get ice cream. Either that or he doesn't really understand what diabetes is.

Comments

Ignore all the mean comments, people obviously don't have any sense of compassion on here. I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with diabetes. Unfortunately people won't always understand and might make a joke of it. Thankfully there are lots of food options for diabetics, to include sugar-free ice cream. :)

chilliewillie 0

Like other people said you can still have everything as long as you know the insulin you'll have to take and have some things in moderation. Just take things easy and see an Endo and things will still suck but they'll be better especially when you know how your body works. Good Luck with it but don't let it slow you down. As to #111 there's no sugar free ice cream from what I've seen (I used to eat a lot of sweets).

Intellectualist 0

Your grandpa is sweet, just not thoughtful, it's nice of him to try. PLUS! My nan has diabetes, everything in moderation my dear.

p1989 0

you people are horrible for saying that the op deserves it. BTW if its type 1 diabetes, you don't get it because of weight. It has nothing to do with weight. Read a biology textbook. Insulin does seem to put weight (like an extra 10 pounds) on you though, at least thats what Lantus did to me (I've been type 1 for 10 years now). And for anybody who thinks just taking your insulin makes everything all better, you are wrong. You have to carefully work on it day by day. It does becomes routine though. And once you figure out your highs and lows, you CAN eat sweets in moderation. I don't touch the sugar-free stuff though. bleh. :)

not to sound mean but hows that bad diabetics can eat ice cream trust me i know

Whoever said that diabetics don't count sugar they count carbs is stupid. Glucose or sugar is a carb. Therefore, diabetics count sugar. They test their "blood sugar". Pick up a bio textbook people.

ok so i have diabetes and you can still eat ice cream you just have to give yourself insulin for it! when i got diagnosed when i was seven my sister felt bad for me and bought me a dr.pepper at school not knowing i couldnt drink it and i didnt get all mad at her! and im actualy only 70 pounds and im fourteen so not all diabetics are fat thank you very much!

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disorder. Anyone can get it, regardless of weight or sugar consumption.

I disagree. Carbs and sugar are the same thing, but carbs are the unconverted form of the sugars, seeing how your body converts everything you eat into glucose. and there are different types of sugar. Natural sugar in an apple is different than table sugar. And your "blood sugar" is the amount of glucose that hasn't been used for energy because there isn't enough insulin to let it into the cells. So i think you're the one who needs to pick up a bio book, hon. Not the diabetics explaining it.

I'm perfectly active, thank you very much, and I still gain weight from insulin. It has to do with how much you USE. And sugar is a carbohydrate. just in a different form. And shut the **** up about renal failure. I have scar tissue from before I was diagnosed, because I WASN'T GETTING INSULIN. Insulin doesn't HURT your body, it helps. Like it would if our bodies made it. For non-diabetics, when you eat, your body makes the amount of insulin that you need. For diabetics, you have to do it. So you GIVE yourself insulin. In the end, you're more likely to have renal failure as you get older, because you'll gain resistance to insulin and you won't know how to use insulin properly because you think it's unnessicary. Every diabetic is different, you said so yourself. So stop acting like a know-it-all and shut up.

ChelleStacey 0

Its not always beaause of how much insulin you use, I use to be the same and it was because the insulin I was using made me feel hungry so I at more than I really needed. That was on Protophane and Actrapid. No I'm on Glargine and NovoRapid and its all gravy :D

FYL, because having a granddad that only wants to help means your life is ******.