By Anonymous - 17/09/2009 07:05 - United States

Today, I was diagnosed with diabetes. I went to tell my grandpa, who immediately said, "I'm sorry, let's go get ice cream to cheer you up." FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 920
You deserved it 3 930

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awwww does he even know what diabetes is?

Probably just slipped out out of habit. When one of my friends is down we always suggest going out to get ice cream. Either that or he doesn't really understand what diabetes is.

Comments

Diabetics can eat any foods they want to. They just have to watch the portion sizes when they're eating them. Even if you do eat a lot of carbs during meals, everyone reacts differently to insulin because of their sensitivity do to stress, metabolism, being fat, being muscular, etc. As for me I have type 1 diabetes and I am also extremely insulin sensitive. Therefore I usually do not need to take insulin with my meals to counteract the amount of carbs that I take in. As far as the weight gaining goes I have never gained weight do to insulin, that also has a lot to do with how active you are. #122 The next time you make a comment try to make it an intelligent one. When diabetics count carbs they do not count sugar as an extra carb. For example, lets say that some cereal has 45g of total carbohydrates and 23g of sugar, you would only count that as 45g of carbs. Thats not even including the correction for fiber. If the cereal had 12g of fiber you would subtract that from the total number of carbs and get 33 carbs. To every diabetic that thinks you can just counteract everything with insulin is a ******* idiot, you're all going to go blind and end up in the hosptial when you're 50 with renal failure and on dialysis every month because you didn't take care of yourself properly.

ChelleStacey 0

No they dont count sugar. But the sugar total is included in the carb total. AND you can counteract what you eat with insulin its call adjustments, maybe you should ask your doctor about it one day.

JellyBellie89 0

hey dumbass you can still have ice cream just take insulin ive been a diabetic since 4

I see the OP's point. just been diagnosed with something and someone saying a seemingly insensitive comment might be grounds for an FML... HOWEVER.... I must point out that the person that said it was the grandfather. I don't know if you guys know much about the olden times, but I'm pretty sure the cure to all the young one's ails was a kiss on the boo-boo and taking them out for ice cream. This was just a typical response by an old fashioned man to a situation he had no solution or control of. cut him some slack will ya?

ChelleStacey 0

Yeah but if had just been diagnosed, wouldnt he be in hospital?

Whether it's a FML or YDI depends on if it's type one or type two.

devilsdream 0

Diabetics can eat whatever they want. Just give youself some insulin.

hahawaitwhat 0

Awww, well it's the thought that counts :) I'm sorry to hear you have diabetes though. But at least your grandpa was trying to be nice.

mm, i say this is fake. sorry, it just sounds like something off of a website of half-pointless jokes... im sorry if its actually true...

Xader 0

Step 1: Eat Ice Cream Step 2: Bolus Step 3: STFU