By ShellShocked - 30/03/2013 04:06 - United States

Today, I turned 18. My parents got me a pineapple and a pair of socks. I'm allergic to pineapple, and the socks are too small. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 822
You deserved it 3 063

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Happy Birthday OP:) congrats on making it to 18!

Comments

What you do now is for their birthday you buy things you would like, so get your father make up and your mother shoes that are in your size :D

Sounds like they forgot about your birthday and gave you whatever was lying around the house. :(

oj101 33

Why do you automatically assume you will get anything at all, let alone a big present merely for being their offspring? Such hubris.

OP didn't mention anything about expecting an awesome present the FML was the fact that the presents were so thoughtless. I'd rather have nothing than be given something I'm allergic to. Such a knee jerk reaction to call a young OP spoiled and selfish. Shush!

20- if you are used to a pattern of receiving gifts then it will be surprising when you suddenly receive a pineapple. If you're used to thoughtless gifts from your parent, that's tragic. Hubris, no matter how badly you wanted to use that word, doesn't fit here.

Hey you're only 18, your feet might still grow

Yeah, but I seriously doubt they will shrink.

Maybe by the time OP is 80 they will...

Whoops socks too small not too big! Go ahead bury me people...

Ali_Br_fml 33

At least you got something op. I moved across the country for college to live with my sister and her family who didn't celebrate holidays or birthdays, so I worked and went to school on my 18th birthday and was too tired afterwards to do anything else because I had to get up to go to work at 5:30am again the next day. (Wow, I smell a run-on but have to leave for work like right now)

error404n0tf0und 21

oooh!!! who lives in a pineaple under the sea!!!!

Perhaps it's their way of saying welcome to adulthood , where your life only gets more stressful from here.

You don't need parents to show you that as a birthday gift. Op would realize soon enough about disappointment.

Just so you know that's also your birthday & Christmas presents too.

23, I really don't mean to sound rude but you moved there KNOWING they didn't celebrate so you knew you wouldn't get anything. Plus there are a lot of people who work their birthdays! OP probably was expecting something small but significant because it's one of the 'big birthdays'.