By dating a fucking psycho - 14/02/2013 20:06 - United States - Hickory

Today, I tried to give some change to a homeless man. My girlfriend pulled me away and ranted about how homeless people are all basically bastards who deserve their misfortune, and that I shouldn't give "our" money away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 905
You deserved it 6 029

Same thing different taste

Top comments

fldlshrhxirfue 3

I just hope that in 20 years she's homeless and begging you for money. Hey, if the breakup goes bad, you can use this against her.

Comments

hiandrews69 29

I agree with your gf, op. I come from a city where the bums brag about their situation. They LIKE begging for money. They ones who don't want to be in that position either aren't, or if they are in it, do everything they can to get out of it. Not beg hard workers for money or food. They search for jobs and stay at shelters, not wanting others to know their misfortune. Bums who beg won't get my sympathy... Go get a job.

Not all homeless people living on the streets deserve it. I agree that some do brag. There are a lot of homeless shelters that are full and can't take any more people in. Some may live on the street because there is nowhere else to go. They have no other choice. Many try to get a job but can't.

vanessa09865 23

oddly enough, the thing i take away from this is that she said "our" money, you seem to view it as a bad thing but she views you guys as a team. that's good

That's not a good thing. You have to respect boundaries in a relationship. She is just his girlfriend, not his wife or fiancée - acting like they have moved to this stage of the relationship without the agreement of her partner expresses that his opinion doesn't matter. In addition based on the assumption of commonly owned money she then concludes that she should be the sole decision maker on how it is spent. She didn't discuss this with him, just decided that's how it should be. A team would make decisions together. Then there is the small amount this was about (loose change) and the fact that she made a scene out of this. Not good to embarrass your partner in public and even if it's shared money you can't make such a fuss over such a small amount. Certainly anyone can make mistakes, have a bad day or whatever. If your SO's general attitude is like that though, you should get out as soon as possible. I don't know if that applies to the OP's girlfriend, but at the very least the OP should have a serious talk with her.

#63 - How long did it take you to type all of that!?

your gf is right. no offence to the homeless but there's shelters and programs to help with this stuff...still on the street? I walk by em every day.. haven't given them.change in 5 years

I guess you have no idea what depression is, why people get it, or how it affects them

You should build more shelters then because there are many places where shelters are full and don't take any more people in. You shouldn't be so quick to judge when we don't know their situation.

It doesn't, but #5 made the association with their first sentence. So, it works. Dummyface.

Jacksparrow72 21

I always give money when I can. Because one day that could be me and I'd want some one to give me some change.

Omfgitsmia 15

Time for a new girlfriend? Regardless of what they do with the money, it's the thought that counts.

She doesn't sound overly attached. She just sounds like a dumb ****

I have issues with giving homeless people cash after hearing several stories in the news about "homeless" people in Toronto who beg on the streets to make a living but actually have really nice homes that they return to at night. That said, your girlfriend was way out of line. Its your money, do with it as you please.

To anyone who agrees with the girlfriend, consider this: What if it was you? Due to some misfortune or misunderstanding, you end up on the streets, relying upon the generosity of others for enough spare change to buy your next meal. This is why I always give them money when I can, because I know that I could be in their place, and I treat others how I would want to be treated.

I hope if you do ever find yourself in that situation that you would be able to find a shelter and spend your days looking to fix your situation rather than standing on the street, begging people for money. Homeless people often feel useless and worthless so that money you give them goes to alcohol, not food or cloths. It's unfortunate, but true. Next time, buy them a sandwich, that way at least you know the money is going to actually helping them.

The correct action will be NOT to rely on generosity of others. Once you start asking strangers for money, you're gone and it'll be nearly impossible to get back to normal life. There's an article on the internet called "What I learned while being homeless". YOu might want to read it. Also, there's an important thing: panhandlers aren't necessarily homeless, and homeless don't necessarily panhandle.

cryssycakesx3 22

or save your money so you don't end up in that situation or if you do you have a small about of money

I'd rather food, or clothes... they can't use that for stupid shit like they could with money

TheyCallMeDamien 17

She's getting presumptuous with your pocket. Pimp you might need to regulate.