By dating a fucking psycho - 14/02/2013 20:06 - United States - Hickory

Today, I tried to give some change to a homeless man. My girlfriend pulled me away and ranted about how homeless people are all basically bastards who deserve their misfortune, and that I shouldn't give "our" money away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 905
You deserved it 6 029

Same thing different taste

Top comments

fldlshrhxirfue 3

I just hope that in 20 years she's homeless and begging you for money. Hey, if the breakup goes bad, you can use this against her.

Comments

I still cannot figure out how people are homeless in the USA.. Honestly, she is partially right..

Satoaoi 13

you need to find yourself a new gf end of story

There was also an episode of Media Watch recently on how easily surveys can be rigged

TheElBurrrito 21

Maybe she meant "our" in the general sense. As in the non-homeless. I'm probably the only one who would think of that, though.

She has a point - in my country there are professional beggars. Also, I've never seen a beggar leave the street and get a job because of money they get.

I was a homeless teenager as the result of domestic violence. I saw many other kids in the same situation. A lot of those kids turned to drugs and alcohol as a means of escape and dealing with their pain. Truth is, many homeless don't become homeless due to wasting money on addictions. They become homeless due to violence and abuse, and addicts for the same reason after they're homeless, and that often keeps them homeless. Until you've been homeless and see the world from that perspective, don't ever make assumptions as to how a person ended up where they are. That said, it is fair to be reluctant to give money to the homeless for fear that they will spend it on their addiction. A simple tactic I use, which has been consistently effective, is when asked for money for food, I go one better: I offer to take them to lunch. If they are genuine, they will jump at the chance for not only a meal, but the chance for some normal human interaction again. Or, if you don't have the time, just offer them the food itself. Again, if they're truly looking for food, they'll take it. It has always worked for me. :)

Madame, religious or no, you must be an angel.

She's right there out there for a reason

That just shows what kind of person she is OP. I mean, if you haven't realised that yet.

If that bothers why are you with her?