By Howdoiwatchpoliticsnow - 29/05/2016 20:06 - United States - Newton

Today, I tried to get my son off of the couch by turning off the wifi. Afterward, I went to watch tv. Turns out he got me back by turning off the cable. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 942
You deserved it 6 531

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kingdomgirl94 29

Sorry OP, YDI. If all you did was shut off the Wi-Fi then you're a bit of a dick. If there's nothing better to be doing (like if they're not neglecting chores) then shutting off the Wi-Fi is just being controlling. My dad used to shut off the Internet if he thought I was spending too much time online, but the only other alternative available was TV. He would even shut it off after dinner to force me and my brother to watch TV with him even though we weren't allowed to talk at all during the shows and he would go outside to smoke during commercials. It was controlling for the sake of controlling. Shutting off one screen for another is pointless. There are many things to do online that encompass a bunch of other offline activities, such as reading news articles, watching movies, learning how to do stuff, connecting with friends, reading books, listening to music, doing homework, playing games... It sounds like if OP's kid was doing these things offline, such as in their room with a Cd player, magazines, books, game consoles, and a cellphone, they'd be happy that their kid was doing so much, but because it's being accessed with a computer, you assume that nothing else is going on and that they're only doing one thing. My question is what did you want them to do once the Internet was off? If the answer is just a general "anything but the computer", then you have a lot to learn about the things that are available to do online. If you have a problem with Internet use but are happy to sit as an inactive participant in front of the TV, then YDI.

Setting a good example is a much better start than forcing your child to do something that you don't even do yourself. Maybe you should try planning activities that will get you both of the couch, and everyone can enjoy it willingly.

Comments

momac86 17

Uh yeah that little brat would have a bare room with no electronics and no privileges

I remember how much more creative I had to be to find entertainment as a kid. For all of you saying "the only other thing is tv," get your heads out of their boxes.

If you want him to get off the couch, then you shouldn't force him up so you can sit down. People like you are what's wrong with the world.

I'm not a parent, but I would threaten to cut him off from data.

I don't understand the people acting like cutting off the internet is the same as, say, cutting off the electricity. If it's not being used for work or school, internet is not a necessity it's a luxury. That being said, I am an entitled and spoiled brat myself. If my parent took away my precious internet like that, even if I did deserve it, I would be too lazy to plot such revenge.

Wow kingdomgirl94's, Bitter much?? I fully support what he did and do it myself. Sadly my kids seem to not be like you and are not following politics, solving differential equations, researching what recipes they may want to surprise the family with by cooking dinner, or writing extensive prose on the nature of humanity. Based on the router information they are in fact watching Youtube, cat videos, FAIL videos, occasional news site, Facebook, music videos, and of course gaming. You then responded by saying it left only TV? Really? I mean not to judge as you may live in the outback and be 1000's of miles from the nearest town or city or your household staff may have already ensured all the things around the house were done and there was nothing that needed to be done (lucky you). So I don't want to second guess that perhaps your father was being spiteful and cruel because, well, there was nothing that needed to be done, and as the nearest town may have been 1000's of miles away, was bored and was tired of you bettering yourself with your political commentaries, in depth research on world events for the articles you were writing. That does suck, and I wouldn't support any parent limiting their children this way, the world needs some younger people with these type of motivations. As I mentioned sadly mine seem to be anomalies compared to many here, based on the comments, as they rarely do this, despite being at university I have not seen any great articles or commentaries from them online yet. I went one step further.. guess what there are devices you can purchase that when activated, can interfere with the cellphone signal to phones (you need to be careful as to interrupt signals outside of your own property is not legal in most states and many countries), thus even stopping the incessant use of the phone when I would shut down the internet due to lack of movement on their part (as I didn't hire house staff) to complete the minimal activities and contributions which are expected of them (the rest of the time they were free to "surf" away!! I do like how people apply that word as if it is a physical pursuit). Despite the "OKAY.. 5 more minutes" or "yes just a second" which rarely was a second (record was 10 hours later before the dishwasher was unloaded), if i didn't take such action. Now I appreciate the principle around distraction, see I have them too and I, as my dad tells me, did the same thing when I wouldn't get off my Atari (I know.. old school huh.. but man Defender, Pitfall,Frogger etc. they could keep on on that thing for hours), to say go cut the grass or clean the pool, or rake the yard or you know the basics.. guess what.. this will be shocking.. HE SHUT IT OFF and took the power cord!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!! The nerve of him wanting me to do anything around the house after being asked many times, I mean we were well off couldn't he hire someone!!!! I am sure I would have had the same response as you back then. Also, before more people say you should lead by example.. if i shut it off for them go do something and I want to use it, I will. I have earned that right. I have lead by example.. I have worked ( for money) since I was 14, and still managed to do the chores around the house (when I wasn't on the Atari or talking to my friends on the landline). I studied hard, I have dual doctoral degrees and dual MBA's from top tier Universities (I paid for them myself, I didn't let my father fund them ((mostly because I was hardheaded and resented him shutting off my Atari all those times). I work an average 10 hour day.I have taken my kids around the world on travel several times, they have wanted for nothing.. so when i ask them to cut the grass, or unload dishwasher, or water the plants.. or ..no.. I cant believe it.. but yes FOLD THE LAUNDRY.. I expect it to be done then.. not hen the are done watching the cat sing a song from One Direction. Then if i want to sit there and watch TV or use MY internet while they do it... then I will. My house, my rules.. and get this... i earned it!!!! So to OP.. Keep it up!!!! Unless like I mentioned your kids are solving world problems 24/7, then stop being a mungbean and expecting them to do anything else...

If they aren't doing what they're supposed to that's one thing, it's a whole different thing to just demand they not be on it because you don't like it or you want to watch tv. And yeah, most might not be "saving the world" but they could be saving a life or having their life saved. If it wasn't for friends on the Internet, my mom wouldn't have been notified I took a bunch of pills to try to kill myself. If it wasn't for the Internet I wouldn't have the support I needed or the people to help me with my suicidal thoughts, cutting, and depression. You shouldn't let your kid ignore homework or chores or such, but if they want to use free time on the Internet why stop them? Yes, you pay for it but if you use your free time to watch tv or play on the computer, why do you expect your child to do something different? They watch you, you're supposed to be guiding them. If you aren't active and just stay inside to relax, it isn't really fair to demand they do different. They have school just like you have work.

kingdomgirl94 29

First of all, there's a reply function for just this reason. Also, you seem to have wasted your time with this argument by ignoring a key condition that I wrote in my comment, i.e. That there is nothing better that they should be doing, like their chores. Additionally, if they have done their homework, their chores, and all that, what difference does it make if they're reading in their room, or drawing, or talking to friends o the phone as opposed to Internet? What is the difference in how they spend their free time if they have done all their chores and fulfilled all their responsibilities? Your argument seems to be that they should be doing chores and working non-stop instead of spending free time online. Honestly if I had the choice between cutting the grass (when it's not part of my responsibilities) or watching some stuff on YouTube, YouTube wins every time. There's nothing wrong with spending your free time however you'd like. It is, after all, spare time.

Bulbasaur816 4

Well it worked didn't it?

"beware the snake that bites back." Unknown person