By ArmyIT - 05/11/2014 23:42 - Korea, Republic of

Today, I took a army-mandated personality evaluation test. The results said I had a high chance of schizophrenia and multiple personality syndrome. Part of me says that the test is probably spot-on, the other part says it has to be a mistake. Apparently this is another sign of schizophrenia. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 897
You deserved it 3 150

ArmyIT tells us more.

It's not like it's something I just decided was a symtom. It was my psychiatrists opinion/word that it was. They now want me to do further testing. its just disheartening to know that I could lose my job over this.

Top comments

well let's wait for the third person to come in with the tie breaker

Comments

Does your imaginary psychologist say you're ok? On a serious note, the tests for the army aren't necessarily fully correct. They're outdated and based on minority information. If you're worried, consult a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist and they will perform a proper assessment. Failing that, at least look up the DSM-5 or ICD-10 criteria for disorders. They will give you a better indication of whether you need professional help and opinions.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

My uncle showed signs of schizophrenia at 18. Triggers can bring it on if you're susceptible to it.

Lady_Face 12

Schizophrenia usually shows up in your 20s. It's uncommon to show symptoms before that.

you have been labbeled with at least ptsd at age about 8 if you were to have DID though. DID is the correct form of MPS

Lady_Face 12

Schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder are completely different things.

It's not like it's something I just decided was a symtom. It was my psychiatrists opinion/word that it was. They now want me to do further testing. its just disheartening to know that I could lose my job over this.

op, im sure it'll work out. dont sweat it. o hope they realize that one tests results can't say whether or not you're capable of doing your job. further testing, I'm sure will fix it. keep us updated :)

Saying there is a high chance for schizophrenia and actually having it are two different things. You may have a predisposition to it.

don't loose hope... good luck with the. therapy...

How do they not understand that for IT people this is a completely normal diagnosis?

What #22 said. Plenty of people can be predisposed to something without actually having it. Just avoid the 'wacky backy'... which you're probably already doing if you're in the army, but still: if you didn't know already, marijuana can cause someone who is mentally vulnerable to develop psychosis. For most of the population it's completely harmless, for others not so much. Also, was this a high chance of HAVING it, or a high chance of DEVELOPING it? Because I think you would know if you had it. The people I've met who have it definitely knew something different was going on in their brain when it started.

#45 high chance of having it. starting going to the doc about 2 years ago. For certain issues they are just now thinking I need some tests done... typical military docs

Sorry, man. Before you get fired over that, definitely get a second opinion from an indipendent doctor! Good luck!

Well first of all I would like to say thank you for serving our country op and second, I hope everything works out. to your advantage.

71, if you take a look at OP's profile, you'll notice that he is not serving your country as he is living in Germany.

chaosmanfun 7

FYI # 75 there are army bases in Germany.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#75 The US army garrison actually is in Grafenwoehr, Germany as OP's profile states, so there's a high chance he's a US citizen in the US military.

77 and 83, I didn't know that, thanks for clearing that up. I live in a small neutral(ish) country next to Germany and while our countries are very similar in a lot of aspects I tend to forget that Germany has US military stations.

drc2010 13

don't worry they cannot fire u do having a mental desiese I have bipolar and I cannot be fired just cuz of my illness its against the law

kha_428 6

Military can discharge for mental illness. Would you want someone who is a psychopath carrying around a gun? Probably not. I'm not saying you're a psychopath OP, just trying to make a point. My grandfather was discharged from the Army when he got home from WWII cause while there he was buried alive. It ****** with him hard core and they didn't want someone mentally unstable serving and ******* something up vital to an operation. It would be a medical discharge if it happens.

Remember that even if you do have schizophrenia, many people with it only have 1 full "episode", if it's diagnosed early medication and management can mean a fairly normal life. Serving in the front line may well be out, but there may be other positions you can go into. Most people with schizophrenia are no more dangerous than the rest of the population. Maybe less. So comparing to a psychopath is a weird choice. Not that most psychopaths are particularly dangerous, actually. But they're incapable of empathy, somebody with schizophrenia isn't.

#93 I actually, kinda would. An ex-miliatry man can kill me with is bare hands (entirely aside from having firearm and tactical training.) I'd rather have that person be under government supervision and ,for most of the year, overseas. Of course that's likely not what other military people (who don't personally know him) think.

My bf has it and he is no different than anyone else. why would you be different if you want to serve your country?

My bf has it and he is no different than anyone else. why would you be different if you want to serve your country?

I suffer from extreme anxiety, adult level ADHD, extreme depression, and suicidal thoughts on no meds. It's hard.

SnowKitten 14

Don't worry, those sort of personality tests always tell you there's something wrong with you because they pick up on the smallest things. A person is not meant to be one sided anyway, open mindness is good for you. :)

Don't worry OP. I believe those tests are bullshit. My other me agrees with me.

The test doesn't make you that way, you've always been that way. I hate it when people flip out because of the results!! The only thing it can do is help

I thought "Multiple personality" wasn't even used as a diagnosis anymore? Dissociative identity disorder is what is used, isn't it?

That was my understanding too, I think mainly 'Dissociative Identity Disorder' is used in a clinical setting, generally people would say 'multiple personalities' instead since it's less of a mouthful. The general public tends not to be aware of that many proper terms for psychiatric illnesses; a lot of people still think schizophrenia is the technical term for multiple personalities. OP could have used that term so people would know what he was talking about, or he could have just done it because FML has a character limit and 'Dissociative Identity Disorder' is 30 long while 'multiple personalities' is only 22.

It's controversial, but some people believe that people with certain mental illnesses can have multiple personalities when ill with it, but not full blown DID.

You're only authorized to have one personality in the Army, so quit all that show-boating and get back in formation.

I get a different result every time I take one of those stupid tests because my answers are completely dependent on my mood that day. If you're really worried about it, find a real doctor to ask.

consult with a doctor, might be helpful