By ArmyIT - 05/11/2014 23:42 - Korea, Republic of

Today, I took a army-mandated personality evaluation test. The results said I had a high chance of schizophrenia and multiple personality syndrome. Part of me says that the test is probably spot-on, the other part says it has to be a mistake. Apparently this is another sign of schizophrenia. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 897
You deserved it 3 150

ArmyIT tells us more.

It's not like it's something I just decided was a symtom. It was my psychiatrists opinion/word that it was. They now want me to do further testing. its just disheartening to know that I could lose my job over this.

Top comments

well let's wait for the third person to come in with the tie breaker

Comments

With multiple personalities you'll never be alone.

Actually, with multiple personalities the others take over and you're not aware of anything they do. There is very little (if any) communication between the personalities. Schizophrenia is the one that makes you have auditory hallucinations where you hear voices.

40- Not all schizophrenics have auditory hallucinations. Some have visual or tactile hallucinations and some don't have any hallucinations at all. There are loads of different symptoms for schizophrenia

I know not all schizophrenics have the same symptoms; my girlfriend gets auditory hallucinations, but has never had a visual hallucination. I just focused on that particular one it was most relevant to the comment; if you're hearing voices, you'll never be alone because you're being 'talked to'. A visual or tactile hallucination with no auditory component doesn't seem like it would be very good company.

What if you visualize a kitty? Then it's good company :3

Just so long as it was paired with a tactile hallucination. I don't know about you, but personally if there was a cat wandering around my house that I could see but not feel it would be the exact opposite of comforting.

My girlfriend's got schizophrenia, it's really not so bad as it's made out on TV. I would never have guessed it if she hadn't told me. But if you do develop it and go on clozapine, just be forewarned you are going to sleep a LOT until your body adjusts. If you lose weight or quit smoking, your body doesn't need as much drugs, so you will also start sleeping a lot until your dosage is reduced. And one of the drug's side effects is making your body start to metabolize fat before proteins or carbohydrates, which sounds like a good thing, but actually has the opposite effect you would think. It makes you gain weight, and unfortunately targets the gut in particular. My girlfriend doesn't eat much more than I do, and she's always eating healthy, but she put on quite a bit of weight after going on medication. She's managed to drop at least 30lbs or so since I met her, but she's got another 20+ to go. And because of the way the weight gain targets the gut, unfortunately most of that weight is sitting right on her belly. Schizophrenics get totally cheated out of having a waist.

Well done to your girlfriend for managing through it! :) "it's really not so bad as it's made out on TV" isn't strictly true though because schizophrenia can differ massively between people. For some people it's extremely severe and really stops them from living their life properly

What I mean when I say that is just because you're schizophrenic doesn't mean you're going to start seeing big black dogs ordering you to kill people. A lot of people I've talked to has this impression of schizophrenia as a violent, dangerous illness that turns people into psychopaths, and TV really doesn't help matters since most of the time I've seen a schizophrenic on TV they've been some sort of spree killer. I know my girlfriend has it relatively easy; even medicated she's pretty sharp, and is currently trying to start a business. Meanwhile the other person I know well who has schizophrenia, just by talking with him you can tell he is VERY highly medicated. His mind is very foggy, we constantly talk about the same subjects because I think he forgets that he's already said it. He went to Uni for chemistry, but because of how his meds slow him down and the mundane things he talks about it takes a few conversations with him before you realize that he's actually quite intelligent. I wasn't trying to imply that it's not as difficult as it is; that man is proof of it, he is not living to the full potential he could be because his brain chemistry is preventing him from doing so.

Oh yeah, I agree with you there. Schizophrenia has a very negative stigma attached to it.

It says high chance not that you have it. Probably a good option to go see a doctor and have yourself checked out but don't worry about it. Also self-doubt and feeling conflicted (even arguing with yourself) are NORMAL feelings. It's like how feeling sad is normal but if you're constantly bursting into tears for no reason you could (emphasis on could) have clinical depression.

Why are there still people who think schizophrenia means a split personality or dissociation? Don't people read? :(

Simple case of a misconception that not enough people have been educated on to eliminate the misconception. Though it does confuse me a bit too; the word comes from Greek skhizein ("to split") and phrēn ("mind"), therefore 'split mind' and the reason people associate it with 'split personalities'. What I don't get though, is if these people are educated enough to know schizophrenia translates to 'split mind', how could they NOT know it doesn't refer to dissociative personalities?

And just remembered one of the less intelligent conversations I've had: Trying to explain to someone that schizophrenia was NOT a pre-symptom of DID. They were under the impression that having multiple personalities was the result of a schizophrenic's auditory hallucinations of voices 'taking over' and becoming actual personalities. They were absolutely convinced that you got Dissociative Identity Disorder from having schizophrenia, and nothing I or anyone else said would prove it to them.

I know, it drives me crazy that so many people think schizophrenia is having multiple personalities. They're not the same thing!

My talking unicorn says it's not that bad

to #33 #37 and #39 I'm not saying schizophrenia and multiple personality syndrome is the same. all I'm saying is that the test I took said that I have a high chance of both. It went over several different mental disorders.

I understood that, I was referring to some of the other peoples' comments.

Laurenlou 24

I don't think that queationing something's legitimacy indicates that you may have multiple personality disorder and definitely not schizophrenia. You are more than likely completely average in your personality traits. Maybe the test was a test to see how you'd react to the strange results! Haha.

WOW that's completely idiotic for them to conclude all that from a bunch of stupid test questions, and from your reasonable indecisiveness or uncertainty. These people obviously know nothing about schizophrenia.

mike762414 6

You'll be able to med-board with a good rating, sucks you have to live with it for the rest of your life, though.

Lol yeah there's that! just wonder how the conversation will go with the next employer. ("so why did you leave the military?" ""oh you know just diagnosed with schizophrenia and they didn't trust me with my security clearance anymore"")

sounds like youre multifaceted. **** em. shine bright and love yourself.