By ArmyIT - 05/11/2014 23:42 - Korea, Republic of

Today, I took a army-mandated personality evaluation test. The results said I had a high chance of schizophrenia and multiple personality syndrome. Part of me says that the test is probably spot-on, the other part says it has to be a mistake. Apparently this is another sign of schizophrenia. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 897
You deserved it 3 150

ArmyIT tells us more.

It's not like it's something I just decided was a symtom. It was my psychiatrists opinion/word that it was. They now want me to do further testing. its just disheartening to know that I could lose my job over this.

Top comments

well let's wait for the third person to come in with the tie breaker

Comments

Indecisiveness is not a symptom of schizophrenia. Disorganized thinking is a symptom and that will come across in your ability to communicate verbally or in writing. Being unable to differentiate between reality and odd beliefs, also known as delusions, is also part of it. Also people with schizophrenia have difficulty accepting their diagnosis and often do not believe they are ill and refuse treatment, which may be what your doctor is thinking by how part of you thinks it may be wrong. But, honestly, denial in receiving any diagnosis is very common. Schizophrenia is a very complex disorder and good luck to you.

skittyskatbrat 19

Something we've found more and more... food allergies, like thyroid disorders, often present themselves via changes in personality and mental functions. Do two things BEFORE you accept the diagnosis. It may well be correct but it may also be less severe than thought or even wrong... 1. Get your blood checked. Vitamin levels, thyroid, adrenal. 2. Get tested for food allergies. Adapt your diet accordingly. And avoid dyes; the evidence is ONLY anecdotal but there's a lot of it. No harm done if you eat a less processed diet for a bit, after all! And in a couple weeks or so, get re-evaluated. About half my depression symptoms went away when I started supplementing my Vitamin D...it was so low as to be almost nonexistent. A gluten sensitivity and a few other allergies kept me from absorbing Vitamin B; doctor put me on mega-doses. HUGE CHANGE in energy levels and ability to focus. The anxiety is still there, and some mood swings, but the dragging-down, half-dead, everything-hurts, total exhaustion is gone. Avoiding the foods I'm sensitive/mildly allergic to has also helped but as it's such a range of really common stuff I just avoid the big ones. Hope this helps!

Don't worry my unit made me do the same apparently I'm all sorts of crazy. Must be an army thing lol

I'm sure most of the people who joined the army where crazy before they joined. why else would they join if they weren't crazy lol

Mortoli 30

And personality disorder. Lol good luck with those two.

Maybe you should see your doctor and gave him/her see if you have schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder.

For the love of Christ, schizophrenia is NOT the same thing as MPD. Schizophrenia is auditory and/or visual hallucinations. As some people would put it; "hearing voices". They are NOTHING alike and it's really ignorant and annoying when people say things like that because no self-respecting psychiatrist would confuse the two so it's obviously self-diagnosed. This coming from someone diagnosed with DID and Bi-Polar hallucinations.

If you're referring to OP you may need to reread the Fml and read his follow ups. He never said they were the same thing. He said he was high risk for both. If not I'll just go back to my corner. Either way this has been said several times already.

As #74 said before neither the doctor or myself said that they where the same. The test just indicates that I'm at high risk for having both which is why they are requiring further testing. I understand your opinion but please read comment rules before posting.

73- I know I've commented this in response to other people already, but schizophrenia can be a lot more than just auditory/visual hallucinations. There are loads of very different symptoms, and some schizophrenics don't experience hallucinations at all. But I agree that it's not the same thing as MPD

I was talking about all the other misinformed statements that are being posted in the comments, I apologize if it seemed like it was directed at you.

Ah, I think I confused you with the "It's self diagnosed" thing, I should have worded that whole sentence better I'm sorry. As aforementioned; I meant that people who say they have the symptoms of MPD and call themselves schizophrenic are probably self-diagnosed. Sorry about that.

You sound normal to me. Honestly the way I see it, you are only as unhealthy as you think you are and anyone else who is prodding you are just instigators and causing you to fear yourself more. Just chill man, honestly, I have dealt with mental stuff but I was able to think logically and it pulled me back to reality. Take care buddy and good luck.

Demonyx 6

First, in the immortal words of Douglas Adams, don't panic. If you are not actually schizophrenic, there are tests that can be done to rule it out - and I don't mean "trust the supposed psychiatric professional, who might be either crazy or a douchebag" tests. I mean, blood tests and CT scans. Second, if you lose this job for some stupid reason, it's not the end of the world. You'll get another. Third, even if it turns out that you somehow magically have two disorders, schizophrenia (not uncommon), and multiple personality disorder (so rare that even professional researches doubt it exists), your life is not over, and you can still find happiness and be a productive member of society. I have six well-defined personalities. And I'm not schizophrenic. That makes me not like most other people. But I'm married to the love of my life, I'm good at my job, I've survived multiple career changes, and most people I meet really seem to like me. I've lost jobs for far stupider reasons than being "weird," or "crazy." And I'm still here. It doesn't matter whether you have either of those conditions your doo-doo-head counselor says you are at risk for. It doesn't even matter if you get fired for some unfair reason. You'll still be here, and if you don't work toward the career you think you've chosen and invested in, you'll still be around to invest in another. You can make it.

epilepticloh 20