By Anonymous - 01/12/2010 10:03 - United Kingdom

Today, I thought it would be a good idea to take a short cut driving through the snow. I skidded to avoid an oncoming car and ended up in someone's garden, inches from their brand new extension. The house belonged to a police officer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 361
You deserved it 31 991

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just because women are better at owning their shit does not suddenly make men better drivers. We rarely get snow in Vancouver so when we got a good dump of it last week things were horrible. Yet what did we see? People driving on snow and black ice as if it was the middle of summer time. Men and women get into the same number of accidents but men are more likely to hit and run while women are more likely to report even mild fender benders that do not need reporting. In this case the OP deserves it for taking a short cut. When the weather is bad - slow the **** down and stay on roads you are familiar with.

I hate to add to the mindless sexism that consumes FML, but seriously....it seems like every post that involves shitty driving involves a female. just an observation ladies.

Comments

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Sucks to be you, but it's real great to be me, for I get the good fortune of laughing at idiots like you.

Or, you know, kill someone. Then land on a police officer's doorstep.

IVANTTOCOME 0

Vegetables grow in the snow? Very interesting.

In whatever fantasy world he lives in to take a shortcut in the snow, yes vegetables probably do grow in the snow.

Why would you even think to drive down a shortcut in the snow unless it looks like it's been gritted? When it's snowing you don't drive unless you have to, and you only drive down roads which have been relatively cleared or are the only ones that go where you're going... If however it was gritted chances are that you were driving too fast then, especially if you needed to 'avoid' another car, or it was black ice... I suppose it would be obvious which is was...

cinn, can you explain to us silly Americans what "gritted" means? I would assume it means plowed, but I hate making assumptions

It's the equivalent of salting in the US.

The Doc is right, as always. Gritting is just putting salt (or as we tend to call it, grit) on the roads.

Tikwichka 5

Cinn, I must disagree with you. As you may know, Scotland is not unfamiliar with heavy snowfall. It is quite rural, so many of our roads do not get gritted. The council focuses on main roads and motorways. My car is currently stuck as it is parked on an ungritted side street, and I live in central Edinburgh!

I know Scotland gets heavy snowfall, and I did say that if there were no alternatives. We have reasonably heavy snow here atm, and not all the roads have been gritted, but the cars are driving slowly and carefully enough to not crash. But the term 'short-cut' implies that there is a more popular/known about alternative, which implies that that route would be safer in the snow.

Britain has had the heaviest snow fall for years in the last few days...

YDI for trying to take short cuts, knowing the road was icy.

I hate to add to the mindless sexism that consumes FML, but seriously....it seems like every post that involves shitty driving involves a female. just an observation ladies.

That's because the men are too macho to admit their driving failures like this. Trust me - I see the worst of the worst drivers in my trauma bays, and the majority of drivers who are reckless (as opposed to wreckless) and hurt other people are men. They are also much less likely to admit how much alcohol they've had. Just another observation.

sorry but I've been driving the same vehicle since I got my permit 6 years ago I have NEVER wrecked any thing. my fiancé has wrecked (in order) a bonneville, a pathfinder several times, a cobalt, a GSXR 600, an F-350, a Nissan Altima, a Suzuki boulevard, and a mercury Tracer...he has had the ability to drive for a shorter period of time.

beauty2646 0

lol, I'll have to agree w/ you on that.

While an N of 1 doesn't even constitute a case-series, I see where you are going with this. A study out of Johns Hopkins found that while women are slightly more likely to get in an accident, men are 3 times as likely to die in an accident. I would suggest everyone look up the study, read it, chew, swallow, digest, and shit it out. See, not all of my comments are sarcastic and unhelpful.

I wonder if there are any studies that compare race with accidents. People say Asians are terrible drivers (I would agree based on my experiences) but I would like to see the statistics behind it.

Based on Mr. Doe's involvement with the towing industry, it does seem that women have more minor accidents, but they and anyone else involved are much more likely to walk away than men, rather than being wheeled out in an ambulance or coroner's van.

on Asians- 84 seriously calm down.. that stereotype most likely comes from the fact that many Japanese and Chinese do not have driving laws in the fact that they do not have to obtain a license to drive. therefore when they enter the US, they can be quite devastating. also I don't think the first guy was intending to debate a scientific experiment of driving Asians with you.

I was 37 weeks pregnant when I wrecked my car in the snow. Definitely wasn't driving to fast but hit black ice around a curve and went into a relatively low river. People saw and fortunately was able to help me get out before my car flooded. It makes for a good story to tell my son when hes old enough that I wrecked on his baby shower day lol

ulicksam 0

"skidded to avoid an oncoming car"? Avoiding on oncoming car doesn't cause a skid. More like skidded because you're driving too fast. Learn to drive or get off the road. YDI. On another note, anyone ever notice that the women that like to throw around the word "misogynist" are also the ones to make comments about cutting off dicks? Hypocrite much?

I'm the one who said that, and the dick hanging between my legs refutes your claim. I just happen to respect women. If you have a problem with that, then you indeed have a problem.

I'm assuming OP went into a skid as a result of avoiding an oncoming car, possibly got startled and slammed the brakes, or jerked the wheel too sharply.... Being a guy, I do get tired of hearing about women wanting to cut dicks off, it gets old.

A woman didn't say that, I did. And that entire comment and its responses were deleted. Apparently the mods don't like that sexism shit any more than I do, so I suggest everyone let it drop.

Sorry Doc, I didn't see your comment when I posted, just saw a reference to dicks being slaughtered.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie "Inception". haha but I honestly didn't understand most of it till the second or third time around :P Waaooooo! silly me :P

I have never posted or thought anything even remotely similar to that, nor do I agree with the people who do. I would assume that instead of getting angry at the idiots who post things like that, refuse them the validation of acknowledging their existence. Be the bigger person.

Smashy, it's much more fun to verbally assassinate them.

Hahaha, yeah alright smashgrab, "just pretend they don't exist, be the bigger person."

Not true at all, if someone was on the wrong side of the road in the snow most people would choose to steer out of the way.

You were obviously going to fast. If you were taking a shortcut then it is probably on a back road where the gritters had not gone down yet. It is prudent to go slowly down such roads as you will otherwise end up in situations like this. So I am going to say YDI. Although saying that having been out on the roads yesterday with the snow and there are still crappy drivers on the road who like to pull out right in front of you unsafely.