Subtle

By uh huh sure - 09/07/2020 05:01

Today, my mother-in-law, who isn't southern, who’s family isn’t southern, and has never even mentioned any interest in anything even remotely southern, decided to give us a baby gift: a hand-crocheted confederate flag blanket. We’re an interracial couple. I think she’s trying to tell me something. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 507
You deserved it 200

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, speaking as someone in an interracial marriage: set that piece of shit on fire, and either record it and send it to your monster in law or do it in her driveway.

Amanda Howard 9

Comments

Amanda Howard 9
bobsanction 18

Either she hates NASCAR or loves Trump?

Yeah, speaking as someone in an interracial marriage: set that piece of shit on fire, and either record it and send it to your monster in law or do it in her driveway.

If I could, I’d like your comment several times.

Sarah Yamabo 15

Yeah, she's trying to tell you she got a sudden attack of STUPID. Let's just hope it hasn't become a chronic condition.

Umm I hope your SO told her to stick that blanket where the sun don't shine, seriously that is blatant microaggression racism, you should cut her out of the child's life and if it were me I'd expose that bitch to the whole world

ChristopherL98 3

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's about the symbolism. I'm thinking that OP and their spouse aren't Historians and therefore aren't collecting historical artifacts. OP is upset because the Confederate flag is a very blatant, physical symbol of racism and therefore not something they want in their home or around their child.

The confederacy has a nice history of hating America too. It's certainly not a patriotic symbol to celebrate the people who took arms against their government in the defense of slavery and white superiority, at the mere idea that slavery could be outlawed. The confederate flag is basically equivalent to the Nazi German flag. Yes both are historical, they were used to represent some pretty hateful causes, hundreds of thousands died under that symbolism, and any decent person today should recognize that they belong in the dustbin of history.

bl3ur0z3 17

Bogrbon, again you make a comment that one wishes they could like multiple times. Yes, the Confederate flag is to America as the Nazi flag is to Germany. A symbol of segregation, hatred towards a group of people based on their birth status, and commemorative of traitorism towards the country. Confederates literally fought AGAINST Americans and FOR white supremacy. What's unclear about this?

Yikes. She is obviously trying to tell you something. She's a racist bitch.

I am living in Germany. 30 years ago, when I was a very young, I had a boyfriend with a confederate flag in his car. I found it very cool, America, whooho. Now, as I know the background, I am kind of ashamed. Cannot imagine that a grown up american does not know what this flag means.

They knew exactly what it means. That’s why they treasure it so much

bl3ur0z3 17

Thanks, Mom. I was in need of kindling for the fireplace.

chickensheep 15

Plot twist: OP is white and his wife and MIL are black