By SuzyTurquoiseBlu - 29/08/2012 05:32 - Australia - Fairfield

Today, I received a call from my future sister in-law, telling me that she and her future husband had decided to hold their wedding ceremony on my birthday. I was told not to celebrate my birthday, as it would "take away the attention to the true meaning of the day." FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 186
You deserved it 2 100

SuzyTurquoiseBlu tells us more.

Well, they aren't really liked in the family and I think that its both really rude and sad of them to try and piggy-back their special occasions with mine. My sister in-law and her fiancee got engaged in the waiting room while I was in ACTIVE labour with my daughter and got pissed off that everyone wasn't falling over themselves to congratulate them.

Top comments

What a bitch of her. It was your special day first, they can het hitched any other day.

Celebrate it anyways. I hate self centered people.

Comments

Go to her wedding and have a good damn time for both of you guys

DeadxManxWalking 27

That's ****** up of your (I assume) brother to agree to that even if she is his future wife

I'm thinking this is more likely her boyfriend/fiancés sister? So she's no relation technically to the bride or groom.

That sucks OP. I'm going to a wedding on my birthday this year, where I won't know anyone, apart from the bride and the girl who bullied me at Uni, and the invitation had no plus one. Uncomfortable. So that dance floor is MINE!!!!!! Celebrate your birthday anyways! You were born first!

You DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND. You are not obligated to attend just because you were invited.

Celebrate anyway. That bitch can't tell you what to do!

venomousddog 19

If I had that problem I would celebrate your birthday just to make her mad, good luck op

Why is it a big issue?? Perhaps that day worked out better for them?? Be an adult, and be happy for their special day.

sorrowsangel89 1

There is nothing childish about wanting to be able to celebrate your own birthday. Your birthday is the day when you were given life and a chance to affect the world. I'd say that's special enough without having to give it up because someone else doesn't want you to even acknowledge it

Right, so your saying that you never do anything for anyone else on your birthday? If my friend or family member was getting married on my birthday, I would be happy for them and feel blessed that they want me there.

nisey3313 11

AussieChild you obviously don't understand what everyone is trying to tell you. Wedding on birthday=fine, wedding on birthday and bridezilla banning you from celebrating it=not fine. Get it now?

Maybe she just didn't want her wedding to turn into a joint birthday bash. And there's a good chance that OP is just having a sook.

AussieChild are you the sisterinlaw or related to her telling some one to not celebrate their birthday is wrong.

AussieChild are you the sisterinlaw or related to her telling some one to not celebrate their birthday is wrong.

Um no, definitely not! I'm just keeping an open mind. And as someone who's 7 weeks away from my wedding, I know how hard it is to keep everyone happy. I would never tell someone not to celebrate their birthday, but I understand that SIL could be very stressed and trying to please everyone.

totallydonteven 5

AussieChild: You confuse "open mind" with "agreeing with selfish rude people." I'm going to repeat what a bunch of other people have said and tell you this isn't about the wedding being on OP's birthday, it's about the future SIL being a selfish bitch and ordering the OP that she can't celebrate her birthday on that day, as in, the day of OP's birth. That is the ultimately selfish act that happened here. Not that the wedding is planned for OP's birthday. And news flash, it's not selfish to want to celebrate your birthday ON YOUR BIRTHDAY. Or in general. So stop acting like a childish brat and trying to force your fake open mindedness on the rest of us.

What everyone is trying to tell you is the same thing I've said to you. Just because you are getting married doesn't give you an excuse to act like a self centered bitch. The only reason you are taking this so far is because you are taking this personal and bot as a FML post. You go with what the post tells you not write your own story or we could be here hours tearing every FML post apart. The fact is as I already said like it or not when you choose to marry someone you are also marrying the family. You should show your soon to be husbands family the same respect you would show yours. The soon to be bride has not done that. There I no excuse to ask someone not to celebrate their birthday. They can't pick that date you can how ever pick the day you wed on. That being said I find it completely disrespectful to the mother of OP as she gave birth on the day that is being told not to celebrate. Also disrespectful to the groom as now it's causing family drama that wasn't necessary. When people have stressful times it gives you an opportunity to see how they handle life and OP's sister in law chose to be self centered.

Well, you obviously didn't read what I posted. I was asked not to celebrate my birthday, because they had decided to have their wedding day on that date. I would have been more than happy to share.

sorrowsangel89 1

Exactly! It's not about not sharing your birthday, but to be told to ignore it altogether? If the SIL is so concerned about getting all of the attention then maybe she should pick a different day.

"someone who's 7 weeks away from my wedding" = not objective. Seriously, it doesn't matter how hard it is to "keep everyone happy". Quite frankly, everyone else EXCEPT for the SIL would be just fine with the OP and SIL both having happy events on the same day; hell, they'd probably love it. It's quite obviously the SIL who does not want to share her "special day", and she needs to change the date if that's the case, as the OP has every right to celebrate HER special day.

maybe she should of picked a different date for her wedding

I agree with Aussie !! Just celebrate on a different day omg

Well maybe OP didn’t want the birth of her child turned into an engagement party either. Ever think about that?

Nanael_fml 4

Tell her to kiss your ass and that the true meaning of the day is that YOU were born!! And have your b-day party right next to where her reception/wedding will be Bwahahaha

That's just bitchy, find a way to celebrate without ruining the wedding anyway.

Kick her teeth down her throat and tell her to have a great day