By Anonymous - 06/07/2013 16:13 - Lithuania - Vilnius

Today, I poured my heart out to my now ex-girlfriend over the recent passing away of my grandmother. Her eyes glazed over multiple times, and when I said that I don't know how to cope with everything, her advice was simply, "Shotgun. Mouth. Blam." FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 300
You deserved it 5 188

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kozmotis 8

At least you had the brains to dump her. You deserve better than that horrible woman. Sorry for the loss of your grandmother. :(

You should say Hand. Door. Out. I'm really sorry OP, she is insensitive. You deserve better. You dodged a grenade!

Comments

jw90 18

Glad you dumped her OP. You don't need none supportive people in your life.

feldco1 17

So glad to see "ex girlfriend." Hope you find a girl who has the decency to be there for you when things happen!

The phrase "my now ex-girlfriend" is probably my favourite part of this FML. Good riddance to bad rubbish. My condolences to you, OP. Keep your head up and find supportive people.

MissWhitneyB 17

I love that she's your ex-girlfriend. Best decision! Sorry for your loss love.

What a bitch. Stuff. Door. Kick. Is what you should've said

My grandma passed recently too. I share your pain... I'm very sorry for you OP. :(

That's a good attitude towards life. "If you can't deal with your own problems yourself, nobody will help you and you're better off dead" - works like a slap in the face and brings you back to real world every time you hear it. A fresh change from useless "it'll get better" (no, it won't), and "I feel sorry for you" (no you don't). Wouldn't mind dating girl like that.

Here, let me be the first to courteously inform you. You're a ******* sociopath.

28. Nah. I simply don't believe in help from other people and don't bother my friends with my problems. If that's "sociopathy" for you, then I'll be first to inform you : you're too naive.

#28 - To him, being called a sociopath is a compliment. If you see his comments, you'll soon realize that he's just a self-important idiot who argues for the sake of arguing and likes to think he's some ultra-logical, ultra-rational god among men. Some people are just desperate to feel special above everyone else.

#32: If mourning the loss of a close relative is what you call "bothering people with problems", I pity you. On the contrary, you're the naïve one if you truly believe you are somehow "superior" and "independent" in handling emotions involving a family member's death. For your own sake, God forbid you should ever have to deal with the death of a close relative all on your lonesome. #34: Of all the things I've seen from him, this comment just takes the beetle-infested cake. It's almost as if he's being wilfully belligerent.

imtooshy 18

#37, I couldn't agree with you more. We all will eventually have no choice to experience the death of our older family members and sometimes friends too. It's in those times we need people that we can rely on for comfort and soothing advice. Thank god most peoe in this world don't think like #22, so sad!

#22 if that's your view on life, I hope that if something ever happens to you, something so terrible that even you try to turn to people for help, that they turn around look you in the eyes and say "if you can't handle your own shit you're better off dead" and walk away. that will be karmas way of telling you Go **** yourself.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

I don't necessarily agree with him at all, but he has one(singular) point. Sometimes you need to buck up and take charge of your own minor problems. You gotta rely on yourself above all else. Now with someone close to you dying, you obviously need moral and emotional support. It's ******* stupid to say you need to deal with that alone. That's just bad advice.

56, "I hope that if something ever". I don't see a problem here. Even if failure to fix my own problem will result in my own death, I'm perfectly fine with that. Never expected help from other people, no matter what happens. The point of family, friendship and love is to enjoy the company and never expect anything in return. Other people are not your insurance agents/therapists.

Your friends and family are notjust there for good times and laughs. The ones worth enjoying life with are the ones who stay when you need it, without you even asking.

There is nothing wrong with asking others for help. Humans are social animals, and by only interacting on a superficial level with your fellow group members, you are removing a vital part of what it means to be human. The argument isn't that you should rely solely on others for assistance, but that sharing these personal experiences helps the healing process for yourself and builds trust between friends. Maybe it's that it's 1:30 am where I am, but I am so appalled by your emotional exclusion. There's a beauty in grief, not in the sadness, but in the mobilization of feelings and the love for a friend in need and you need to find people to experience it. Sorry I've written a novel, I just hope there's no mistakes here.

68, My point was that when something bad happens, many people lie by saying "I'm sorry for {insert_topic_here}". They feel obliged to express condolences, but they don't actually feel what they say. For some people those "fake" words quickly become annoying and make their situation worse. Honesty is more valuable than fake words. And for some people blunt reply works better than somebody who's trying to comfort them. Because blunt reply like that can make you come back to your senses and snap out of it. When it comes to death the only thing you can do is to accept that it happened. Take an unpaid leave, and take your time to recover. And all those people that say "I'm sorry" can go to hell - they don't help.

Emily062611 6

I'm really not sure where you get that people are being "fake" when they commiserate. My heart goes out to people suffering because I know what it's like to experience loss and grieving. If you don't mean it when you say those things, I guess you're just an ass who doesn't deserve sympathy anyway.

So when my boyfriend's grandfather died a couple of weeks ago, I was being fake when I told him that "I'm so sorry, I'm here if you ever need to vent?" I am honestly there for him as much as possible. If you don't know anyone who would put your life ahead of theirs, and there's no one that you would die for, then you live a sad life.

@22 I understand being annoyed with people using phrases like "it will get better" and "I know how it feels" because they're generic and overused, I know people are trying to make me feel better but there seems to be so little thought or emotion behind it. Personally, I'd rather they stayed silent (a shoulder to cry on or an embrace is generally more comforting to me) or even say something slightly rude than say something shallow and overused. If they know me well enough, they should be able to think of more personal to say. However, what OP's girlfriend said is inappropriate under any circumstances. Your way of thinking is also pretty messed up, either your a total jerk or your really depressed and have a really morbid way of thinking I'm going to go with the first option.

She's an ex girlfriend. And I'm guessing there is a reason that she is that. It's not common for ex's to be amiable. Quite often one side feels jealous/resentful or just that their former partner still wants more than friendship, and can be a **** to the other person. Heck, when I was in secondary school one of my ex's tried to get me excluded from the school so she didn't have to see me, and I hadn't done anything wrong... Harsh as it sounds I think it's best you cut your ties.

slytherbitch 15

The way it was written, I'd assume that OP was still dating the girl when she made the comment, resulting in OP dumping her.

imtooshy 18

That's how I understood it to be as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this. On every FML, you can be sure it'll go like this: "Today, my girlfriend did something absolutely horrific [...]" FML commenter: "Don't you mean 'EX-girlfriend'?" "Today, my now ex-girlfriend did something absolutely horrific [...]" FML commenter: "Why are you even talking to your ex?" Some people are just willfully obtuse.

sorry. I missed 'now' when I read the FML. My bad :O

imtooshy 18

I'm glad you said ex girlfriend. So sorry for your loss OP. congrats on getting rid of a selfish, heartless ****.