By Anonymous - 13/12/2010 03:03 - Korea Republic of

Today, I met my boyfriend's very strict and traditional Korean parents. I had to listen to them while they called me a skank and how I was fat and ugly compared to nice, pretty, Korean girls. They don't know I speak Korean. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 901
You deserved it 3 574

Same thing different taste

Top comments

SourCandyyz 0

you should've been like "uhm, thank you?" in korean :)

just say "uh....I speak Korean, thanks"..... but say it in Korean and make them feel like a bunch of a-holes!

Comments

I_R_Genius 3

Hmmmm.... So just tell them that I'm the best pussy he's ever had? But in Korean though.

I_R_Genius 3

starcraft is WINsauce... Construct ADDITIONAL pylons!

My husband is Korean and I am currently living in Korea. I completely understand. The only thing you can do is try to embrace their culture as much as possible. You will always be an outsider but they will be nicer. If you speak Korean you should already know this. I love how Koreans think only Koreans can speak Korean!!

Not true. When my mother screamed in Korean, I told her not to spit in the house.

We do not! ...well, I agree. Most of us are inclined to do so. But it goes the opposite way too. People don't expect Koreans/Asians in general to speak English fluently. :( Oh, and Starcraft is awesome. Just a sidenote ;)

hansbans11 0

haha I find this pretty funny.

enroutetothesky 0

Um, not at all. In fact, there's even a Korean talk show with 10 to 15 "foreign" girls (ie. non-Koreans) who all speak varying levels of Korean and they just talk, in Korean, about their experiences in Korea, why they came to Korea, etc.

use this to your advantage!! start speaking in English infront of them of how rude they are

chances are they know English, but still a really good idea :D

This. However, this is such an American, passive-aggressive way to go about things that will only deepen the rift between her and the Korean family. She's better off speaking Korean to them and impressing them with that, and they may shove a foot in their mouths and actually start warming up to her.

cherriekerrie 0

Did she ever say she is from America...? Why does everyone assume that English-speakers are from America? There's this place in the world called England that speaks English. Shocking. Also Australia and New Zealand and South Africa, etc.

I was saying that type of response was American, but yeah I guess people from other English-speaking nations can be bitches, too. Claim that all you want.

duma191 21

I am from South Africa and living in America. When people learn where I am from they are surprised that I'm not black.

Start speaking in Korean about how you've been banging their offspring and how pregnancy is a very real possibility. Then when confronted just tell them you don't speak Korean and say the same shit in English.

mylifesucksserio 15

tell them your banging their son and there nothing they can do about it.

should have said " I don't like being called (that)" in Korean.

sallen0046 4

So you chose to listen to them insult you repeatedly instead of simply stating you spoke the language? You deserve to have to sit through it if you don't have enough sense to stand up for yourself or at least make it known you understand them.

WallyTheWombat 0

Exactly. This is definitely a YDI for not sticking up to yourself. I hate when people complain about shit that they have the power to fix. Just tell them that you gave their son AIDS or something and let them deal with it. Leave his ass or talk to him about not sticking up for you cause that's shitty boyfriend behavior.

Agree that it's shitty boyfriend behavior. However, I disagree with talking back to them, at least so disrespectfully. Remember, they're a very strict and traditional family, so a move like that may wind up with them hating her forever and disallowing their son to marry her lest he should be disowned. Instead she could speak to them in Korean and let them know she understood them, then they'd feel like total assholes and even try to make it up to her.

umm hello strict and traditional means that you listen and obey your parents you do not backtalk to them and have to agree with everything they say and cannot stand up for yourself or your BF/GF without getting slapped in the face

Depends. If OP and her boyfriend are teens, then you might have a valid argument. However, if they are both adults with their own jobs and living space, then her boyfriend's parents have absolutely no right to be disrespectful. If her boyfriend can't or won't stick up for her, then she should do it herself. If his parents hate her for showing a backbone, oh well, that's their problem. At least she 'll have the satisfaction of putting them in their place. Oh, and dump the boyfriend while she's at it. He sounds like he should be wearing panties instead of boxers.

problem is, in most Asian traditions, it doesn't matter how old you are, your parents still get your utmost respect and you do not talk back to them. and as OP said, her boyfriend's parents are very traditional. it probably be much easier and possibly forgiven for a teenager to act up against their parents, as they're young. However, if OP and her boyfriend are indeed adults, it makes it that much more difficult for him to even think about disrespecting his parents, as he should know better. I'm sure OP's boyfriend did not want her to be slandered by his parents, but other cultures are hard to understand until you live among them for a certain time and learn the traditions. not all cultures and countries have the 'privilege' of being raised to be their own person and such. i put that in quotes, of course, because sometimes it backfires and the person turns into a complete selfish a-hole. x3

Good point, however, it also begs the question as to when do these parents actually start to recognize that their children are finally adults, with opinions and feelings of their own.

you shoud have said something then they'd be embarrased and feel dumb