By BuspassBob - 10/09/2012 16:48 - United States

Today, I found out that the car I got a great deal on a few days ago, needs a new transmission. I'm now the proud owner of a very large and very expensive paperweight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 046
You deserved it 6 626

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Hmmm I know that story ... Haha ... That really sucks though it's happened to me :p

don't worrie I've had problems like that too I bought a car and 23 miles later the clutch went out u can never know how the other person took care of the vehicle

Research something called the lemon law. I'm not sure if it's just here in NY state but it's a law that can be summed up to saying this: if you buy a used car from someone that didn't include an "as is" purchase agreement and there's mechanical problem(s) with it that they did not disclose to you before you bought the vehicle and within 30 days from the purchase date then it is within your legal right to ask that they fix the problems or refund your money.

Although that law works fine in theory, reality works differently. First off, the op said nothing about this and as it's almost common practice to include the "as is" agreement in almost anything, we can pretty much assume it's also the case now. Secondly, a lot of used cars are paid for in cash without any form of contract, so it's kinda hard to prove if it's not included...

Which is why you never buy a used car without taking it to a mechanic you trust to look it over...

You couldn't even use it as a paper weight if you can't move it on to the paper.

YDI for not taking it to a mechanic or checking it out yourself

sbarua219 17

Transmissions aren't cheap. FYL OP

BoriquaLove293 25

lemon law previous owner must fix/pay for all previous issues aka a screwed transmission private sale or not

How funny that this is exactly what happened when my dad bought my brother and I our first car. One thing to always ask yourself when you see a "good deal" is "Why is it that price?" If it's cheap, it's probably a piece of shit...sorry OP, but you deserved that one.