By jellybean_94 - 15/08/2009 04:33 - Canada

Today, I found out that my parents are first cousins. FML
I agree, your life sucks 137 414
You deserved it 7 360

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This happens more often then you'd think. But still, FYL.

My parents are first cousins too, lol, I turned out fine. Just don't go off with your first cousin, there will probably be some trouble there :P

Comments

leMeepO_o 0

Hiding behind what men wrote in a book 2000 years ago seems kind of like a weak argument. Whether it's legal or not, marrying your cousin (and having children with them) is still marrying a member of your family, and God has a problem with marrying family. What about the countless royal families that produced physically or mentally disabled? That was from generations of cousins marrying each other to 'keep the blood pure'. OP should be fine, just don't marry your cousin, or your children will have a much higher risk of being messed up.

justmyluck1212 0

Incest is biologically defective if your parents are siblings, neices, nephews, parents or grandparents of one another. No matter how consensual that is, that's beyond disgusting. However, first cousins aren't as blood-tied as the above stated

cyurihsung 0

The ****, Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't from South Park, they just mentioned it there.

JennyyBennyy 0

clearly I am more intelligent than you because I know the difference between "then" and "than" ..something you seem to have trouble with.

FlaminYawn 0

I went to school with a kid who's parents were 1st cousins. He was in special ed, but he had the biggest dick ever. His last name was even Adcock. Everyone knew about it, people would dare him to pull it out. So, ehh, might be a good trade.

Jae87 0

Yeah, I didn't even know that the flying spaghetti monster was mentioned in South Park. It's not from that at all. http://www.venganza.org/

Are you serious? You're going to compare mental retardation with a big dick? How is that a fair trade?

A good part of the world has marriages with cousins, just look at the British Royal Family, it might be different now, but they only used to marry in family. There are no defects arising from it either. It's a certain chromosome passed down by either one or both of your parents. That can even happen if there is no relation at all.

DirtyJerzey8083 7

really? youre using the british royal family as an example? hahah epic fail

The British Royal family actually has a lot of issues because of incest. A lot of them have a blood disease where there blood doesn't clot properly and it can increase the risk of bleeding out

wow this FML is a big deal i see. well i would like to point out that i would be devestated if i found out my parents were cousins, so, FYL. to everyone else... shut up and GFY ;)

No, you are missing the point. It is not that that a birth defect is guaranteed. It is the likelihood is increased. A cousin couple runs twice the risk of a birth defect Also we don't really know what the royal family predisposition to hereditary disease is. But as I noted in a previous post, marriage is also a tool for acquiring and retaining resources. With the aristocracy, with so much more at stake, romantic love didn't count for much, I'm not sure the risk of birth defects would have either.

No actually they don't run double the risk of a birth defect. There are no conclusive test to prove that either.

Tarynkd, I don't understand your math. The risk is about 3% for a non cousin couple.... 5.8% for a cousin couple. That is nearly twice as risky.

twice of "very low" is still very low... :)

It's not that low. It's just under 1 in 17 kids, vs one in 33?

Also, I'm not really sure how you inferred I said nearly all. I merely pointed out the risk was nearly twice as high, which not the same thing at all.

captainmaharet 1

I lol'd so hard. 80% is a middling C in most places. FYL too

boatkicker 4

#66 one who said European royals have been marrying thier cousins and nothing bad was coming from it: Please go look up hemophilia. Its a genetic blood disease that a lot of the old royals had. Because they kept intermarrying it wouldnt die off.

MY GOD YOU ARE ALL MORONS. There is nothing wrong with first cousin marriages, if there was...IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL LIKE MARYING YOUR SIBLINGS IS! Jesuuuus Christ.

I'm almost positive that when I got married first cousins were on the "you may not marry" list that I had to go through to get the license..