By sewdevastated - 18/05/2016 02:02 - United States - Fremont

Today, I found out that my mother intentionally donated the quilt that I had made for her, because, "It didn't match anything". That was $70 worth of fabric and 7 and a half weeks spent on that handiwork of mine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 098
You deserved it 969

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I tried to find some kind of an upside to this. There isn't one. So sorry that happened :/.

scanimp 11

Don't ever buy her a Christmas gift, then.

Comments

Maybe you can find out where she donated it and get it back. Not to give to her, but to keep for yourself. You put a lot of hard work into it, she should have, at the very least, given it back to you. Sorry you had to go through that though.

That would be an awful thing to do to the organization OP's mom donated to, unless OP brought another quilt or blanket to donate.

burgermike92 17

Well I guess your mom's gonna be getting cheap gifts from you from now if any at all.

chill99 15

My sincere sympathies, OP. My mother was the same -- she never liked the gifts I gave her and now I am overly anxious about giving gifts to people. You are a good person to put so much effort into a gift, and I hope one day she realizes how superficial she has been. In the meantime, you did the right thing to give someone a gift from the heart.

arsinic 18

The situation stinks, but she donated it. If it was donated to Goodwill or the Salvation Army there's a good chance the next owner will appreciate the hard work put into those stitches! Just try to think of it that way. And never give her a gift like that again, because she won't appreciate it. I'm sure it was lovely though!

Or it's possible that the mom didn't like the quilt and didn't want to hurt her child's feelings by admitting that

The fact that she said, "It didn't match anything." And then donate the quilt, is enough to hurt OP's feelings.

Saying "I'm sorry, but I just don't have a use for this" and returning it to OP would sting, but it would be leagues better than what the mother actually did. There were so many different things that the mother could have done if she actually cared about OP's feelings.

yes I found this upseted but aleast she didn't just throw it away

Next time you make something for her, donate it right away (lol). Then tell her, "I'm one step ahead of you and have donated it for you already!" Anyway, sorry to hear that, OP! Hopefully she donated it to someone in need. But, still :(

Very disrespectful of her, however it was a gift, which means that is it given with no strings attached. Sorry you wasted your time on her.