By Eggs6131 - 15/10/2013 13:09 - United Kingdom - Nottingham

Today, I found out that my brother is adamant that if he records silence, then listens to said silence at full volume, it'll improve the headphones' noise-blocking abilities. I live with a complete idiot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 360
You deserved it 3 327

Eggs6131 tells us more.

For all the people who don't get it, my brother recorded about a minute's worth of silence on his little MP3 player, so he could listen to said recording at full volume. He thought if he listened to this recording of nothingness on a loop at full volume, it would make his earphones act like earplugs, cancelling out any noise made. #8, still laughing at that "I'm sorry? I can't hear you for all this silence blasting in my ears". #22, he's fifteen :

Top comments

Tell him if he talks with them on, his mom can't hear him. That should be fun to watch.

Comments

Maybe he had crappy equipment and the "silence" will be white noise. That, played loudly, could possibly prevent him from hearing the outside world.

Oh, it's very dangerous ! If he listens to silence too loud, he may become deaf.

He's actually somewhat correct. There is no such thing as silence in the modern world. It's all background noise that we instinctively filter out. Recording it and playing it back at full volume makes it sound like nothings there since we filter out that noise. But that noise can override the non-background noise and reduce our ability to distinguish it, making it seem less intense.

bizarre_ftw 21

Though that maybe true, ironically, it still may turnout to be an interesting idea. If he has strong enough equipment, both in the way of recording and later amplifying the silence, you may end up being able to hear all the minute, insignificant sounds that your brain blocks out all day long. To be fair, this may not be interesting to everyone, but I for one found it to be rather cool.

I have to agree with some of the others. What you describe suggests he, rather than recording "silence", is recording the background sound generated by his sound equipment. In other words he is recording the background hiss, what some would call white noise, and then playing that back to mask sounds in the environment. This is similar to turning up the television on an empty channel so that the static masks the sound of the neighbor's dog.