By strawberrypuff - 04/05/2009 23:39 - United States

Today, I found out nobody in my family wants to come to my college graduation. I spent 4 years and $60,000 to be the first person in my family to go to college, and nobody wants to see me graduate because the 4 hour ceremony is too long. FML
I agree, your life sucks 78 457
You deserved it 4 600

Same thing different taste

Top comments

brodizzle 0

You didn't spend 60k on the ceremony... you spent it on the education you got, and the diploma.

Guess you get a free ticket to not go to one of their weddings, funerals, etc...!

Comments

#58...so NOT true. Not every single first generation student gets their tuition paid for. At our school, all they get is eligibility in an extra tutoring program.

I'm sorry but every time I read these "first in the family to go to college" stories I cannot help but think you come from a family of hill-billies.

Flyboy 0

4 hours? I don't blame them.

poeticpunk77 0

That sucks. Why not ask if they can at least come to part of the ceremony? And to everyone else who is saying that they agree with the family, all I can say is Wow, I'm glad you aren't in MY family for when I graduate college next year. Graduating college is a HUGE accomplishment and everyone deserves to have someone there on that day, no matter how boring the ceremony may be.

That's messed up. I feel for you. It's an important day and the least they could do is tolerate a few hours of sitting and watching your ceremony. My parents didn't go to my high school graduation, which was pretty depressing, but this is even worse. What are they going to do instead? Stay at home and watch tv for 4 hours?

4 hours? I wouldn't even go to my own graduation ceremony, even if it was just 10 minutes long. I spend 4 years toiling away in horrific conditions - and I have to endure yet another college ritual to get a degree even though I've fulfilled all their arbitrary academic requirements? No, **** that.

abye04 0

since you mention it, I will go my cousin's graduation on May 23th, even 3 hours away from my home.

bonafidehustler 0

Wah wah wah nobody wants to come to my boring ass graduation! :( Why do you want to go to it anyway? They suck.

I agree with everyone saying don't blame them. I didn't go to my or my sisters HS graduation, and of course college is more important I'll probably leave right after they call my sisters name. as for mine.. i won't be making anyone go to it. they can look at my diploma for 30 seconds instead.

get the hell out while you still can. if your parents don't have the decency to show up, be glad you're achieving more than they had the motivation to.