By dancer, not a hooker... - 05/05/2013 05:01 - Canada - Penticton

Today, I finished a dance competition. With competitions, it requires you to wear a lot of makeup like false eyelashes and red lipstick. I went into a Starbucks to get a coffee and a boy around 18 asked me, in all seriousness, what my rate is for one night. FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 566
You deserved it 11 662

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Dancers dont make much money, I think you found your new calling.

lol that's pretty funny. Would have loved to be there.

Comments

Make a note to yourself: Next time, use soap and water to remove the makeup before you go out after the competition. I'm thinking this FML is because the guy thought you were a hooker and not the most beautiful girl in the world.

BubbleGrunge 18

Duh! And why should OP have to wash off her make up? Maybe people shouldn't be so rude. You don't ask people that.

12: it's not OPs job to cater to every douchebag she encounters.

We can have to wait hours between dances on stage. It takes Forever to put all of the stupid makeup on, and our hair is always plastered to your head with gel and hairspray. Dancers have to eat (and drink coffee) too. We don't have a choice.

My feeling was, she said she had FINISHED the competition; what was the point of leaving all the makeup on if she didn't have to?

34 - The changing room could be rather crowded, there's nothing pleasurable in staying in a sweat-filled room for longer than you have to - so, maybe OP wanted to take care of it at home. Also, possibly, maybe she had finished dancing, but was still waiting for the official results and went out for a few minutes to grab a coffee?

#34 she chose to leave the makeup on...I don't see how it's any of your business

That's what I was about to say. Well worded.

Where did you get that op might now be that beautiful?! Maybe the guy thought she was smoking but with all dynamic make up he asked his stupid question. Not all "hookers, erotic dancers are ugly" please be rude somewhere else....

It's a pain to remove all that makeup. Maybe she was on her way home and didn't want to hang around in the dressing room for long. Maybe she was still waiting for results. As an actress, I leave my makeup on after a show all the time. The other day I was on my way home and realized I was starving, so I ran into McDonalds. It wasn't until I got back in my car that I remembered I was still wearing all my makeup (including false eyelashes, bright lipstick, and TONS of 'dirt'. I looked like a hooker who had been sleeping under a trailer).

Why do dance competitions require a lot of makeup? I thought the focus was the dance routine, not your face.

nevershouttami 11

The lights on the stage will wash you out if you don't wear enough makeup, the dramatic makeup looks normal onstage.

It is so the audience can see your facial features from wherever they are in the crowd. A dancers face is a huge part of her ability to covey emotion.

aliciaanomalyyxo 12

Because it's part of the costume and you have to wear a lot because of the lighting almost like in theatre

And we all have to look like we're having fun. Overall stage presence is one of the criteria we're judged on. As said above, the lights will completely wash us out otherwise :p

I'm an amateur dancer, and this year I took part in amateur bellydance competition. Apparently, one of the main reasons for me to come third (and the first two ladies were waaaay out of my or any other participant's league) was because I was actually changing my facial expressions, since the amateur dancers, focusing hard on not-so-perfect technique yet, have rather little control over the face. So, yeah, it counts. And you need to be able to show the attitude, so the face has to be visible. I expect on a professional level it's still very important.

It's the same with stage actors like myself, it's 60% talent, and 40% stage presence.

It's so the judges can see your face clearly..

Stage make up, no different than a play. A lot goes into a good dance number and looking put together is part of it. On stage the make up looks normal, off stage, it's a lot.

I sat in the orchestra for The Nutcracker once, and I thought it was ridiculous how all the dancers had to wear a huge amount of make-up and big fake smiles. But, it's part of the business, and they danced wonderfully. It was wrong of the kid at Starbucks to assume - he made an ass of himself.

Dance competitions require a lot of makeup because harsh lights on stage make your features blend in. In serious dance competitions everyone wears lots of makeup and bright lip stick and huge eyelashes

More than you can afford pal... Ferrari

You should have taken all the money in his wallet and told him it would cover the contact initiation..

did you tell him to F**K OFF or ON??

Say $200 and you'll meet him around back when he gets off. Take his money, then go home right away.

That's a great way to get hurt/raped/beaten up.

Stealing $200 will get you into trouble. Either with police, or with this guy's friends. It would be easier to just dump a cup of coffee onto that guy's head. It'll also get you into trouble, but it is still a safer option.

Considering most dancers after competitions put on street clothes & many times their cover up (jackets) on with their studios logo it makes even less sense to me. Maybe he just wanted to talk to you & had zero game. Hope you had fun at your competition at least OP

And everyone going to Starbucks is getting F***ed.

At least you know you looked attractive.....I think....

I had a dance competition yesterday too, so I know the feeling :P people don't seem to be able to make any assumption about what we do besides "prostitute" lol FYL op :)