By anonymous - 04/09/2016 22:12 - United States - Morristown

Today, I discovered that in the three days I left my 18-year-old son in charge, my dog had gotten pregnant. When I confronted my son about it, he stated, "I don't want the reputation of being a cock-blocker." FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 880
You deserved it 4 085

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you don't want the dog pregnant why not get it fixed ?

Was he supposed to physically stop two dogs getting busy? Why wasn't she spayed? Was the unneutered dog yours, too? Bob Barker would be terribly disappointed at this situation.

Comments

18 and he already understands the fundamentals of Guy Code. He is the ultimate Bro. Be gone! Doggy cockblocker!!!

Unless your dog was too young to be spayed there's really no excuse. Having said that if she was old enough to be on heat then she should be old enough to desex. Male dogs looking for a bitch on heat can be extremely aggressive, strong and difficult to pull apart from a female. If a male got into your yard, secure your yard better. If she was roaming that's your kids fault. But like everyone else has said, this could all have been prevented with a simple trip to the vet.

There are plenty of reasons that her dog may not be spayed. Perhaps she's a show dog, or she's a purebred that is to be bred in the future, maybe she's not old enough or healthy enough.

First of all this show dog and breeder stuff needs to die. If the dog is not spayed on purpose and OP knows the danger then maybe OP should give his son a reminder to especially look out for it.

#15 didn't say breeder like they're going to breed her every single chance they get puppy mill style. They said that they might want her to have puppies one day. Which is you know, how you continue a species. Which is a valid reason for not having your dog spayed. And from the sounds of it, OPs son didn't care to stop the two, I don't know that reminding him would have helped.

#29 I accidentally downvoted your comment! Sorry!

we don't NEED any more puppies. honestly having been to shelters I don't see how people who breed their animals can live with themselves. I'm not even especially trying to be nasty. I just couldn't breed an animal for my own profit and entertainment, I'd feel too bad.

The legitimate breeders keep breeds from dying. I love mixes and all, but I'd like to keep having breeds as well. They get tests making sure the dogs are healthy and the dogs won't be related. They have contracts that if the dog doesn't work out you will return it to them and not put it in a shelter.

Some people don't seem to realise that if everyone spayed their dogs, there would soon be no more dogs.

Unless OP is upset because she wanted to intentionally breed the dog at some point, if you don't want your dog to reproduce, get it neutered! Also, tell your son that cockblocking only applies to humans, and even then he's being a moron. Then, revoke some privileges for while because he did a terrible job of taking care of your dog. THEN, since there's such a thing as consequences to one's actions, make him clean the messes caused by your dog's birth and the puppies, so he really gets the message of what happens when you let intercourse take its course.

Whoa! Re-*******-lax, okay! All he did was let a dog get pregnant. I agree with everyone else that the owner should've gotten her spayed, but you need to take a pill. It's not as if they need to keep the puppies, just long enough that they can survive without the mother.

jnugzzz 6

I think why the other commenter is mad is that there are already so many puppies and dogs without homes, it's stupid to bring more into the world that aren't even purebred, continuing their line for a specific purpose.

But to suggest punishment over this is completely stupid, in any case. And "purebred", ugh, give me a break.

I don't think my idea is too unreasonable. First, I also have a problem with the whole dog breeding system. I meant it in the sense that I understand if someone wants their dog to maybe have a litter at some point, in which case you would probably want to make an actual choice as to who the father would be. Would you rather your dog hat puppies with a well-mannered, healthy, cute dog, or an unknown dog, who could be diseased or aggressive? Secondly, if you left your kid in charge of the house, and they totally messed up by breaking something important or valuable, shouldn't there be consequences? I think a dog should be at least as important as that. And yes, they don't need to keep the puppies, but you do need to take care of them for a certain amount of time before they're old enough to give away. I think making the kid feed the dog and clean up the puppies' poop will make him understand the consequences of his actions, he sounds like he's old enough for that. If the parents take care of everything, it just reinforces that he can act irresponsibly and others will literally clean up the mess. Never mind the fact that there are plenty of kids who take care of the family dog as part of their chores anyways, it's not like this is some totally out-there form of torture.

tapdancecolumbia 14

I think they can perform abortions on animals can't they?

FalloutScrolls 25

Should have gotten the dog fixed. In other news, your son is probably one hell of a wingman.

When a female dog is in heat, intact males will do just about anything to get at her. If it happened while he was walking her or at the park, your son could have been injured trying to stop it from happening.

Lizzy500 16

If you're dumb enough to walk a female in heat in the park, around other dogs, that's a double YDI and you kinda deserve to get bit.

Apparently the dog pro-life lobby is very active on FML.