By Anonymous - 28/12/2018 02:00

Today, I bought a car off my aunt, then I got 7 speeding tickets. Apparently my aunt forgot to tell me the speedometer is faulty, so while I thought I was doing a safe 28 or 29 mph in the 30 zone on my way to work, I was probably doing closer to 35 or 36. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 589
You deserved it 434

Same thing different taste

Top comments

manb91uk 22

Presumably the fact that every other car was going slower than you failed to register?

Get the car fixed. Plead guilty with explanation. Show papers. Usually gets you off. I’ve gotten out of a few that way.

Comments

manb91uk 22

Presumably the fact that every other car was going slower than you failed to register?

The fact that you weren't able to figure out there was something amiss with the first one, and absolutely positive after the second shows negligence on your part. But seven??? I call bullshit.

PenguinPal3017 19

They were likely from speed cameras and came through the mail all at the same time.

7 speeding tickets? How many states did you drive through at “29 mph”?

Any cop giving tickets for going 6 over is a complete asshole

Tolerances for some fixed cameras (don't know about mobile cameras) in Victoria, Australia, are as low as 2km/hr (1.24 miles/hr). Which is pretty scummy given the following: Australian Design Rule 18 sets out the accuracy standards for vehicle speedos. Until July 2006 this rule specified an accuracy of +/- 10 percent of the vehicle’s true speed when the vehicle was travelling above 40km/h. That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h the speedo could indicate between 90km/h and 110km/h. An odometer accuracy of +/- 4 percent was also a requirement. From July 1 2006 a new standard began its phase in and by 1 July 2007 all new vehicles had to comply. The new standard requires that: The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h. Odometer accuracy is no longer defined. ---------- So Victoria is essentially enforcing the new design standards even on older car for which those standards did not apply when they were made. And it is for this scumbag reason that whenever I buy a new car I compare the speedo to both the speedo GPS apps on my phone read, and what my handheld GPS says. My current car reads 10% above the true speed (so if my speedo reads 110km/hr I am actually doing 100km/hr).

julfunky 29

So you’re one of those assholes who drives BELOW the speed limit?

If you have transfer papers so they can see you just bought the car and the invoice from the mechanic who fixed it, they might let you off the tickets. Worth asking.

Get the car fixed. Plead guilty with explanation. Show papers. Usually gets you off. I’ve gotten out of a few that way.

So you’ve never heard of Waze app? Shows you your real speed (all speedometers lie) and the spots of speed cameras/police...

PenguinPal3017 19

Using your phone while driving?

Waze is a GPS app, similar to Google maps (so it's on your dashboard before you're driving, or someone else is holding your phone) and it also tells you if you're going over the speed limit, if there are cameras/police/accident(s) reported in the area. Some other GPS systems also track the speed you're driving at, so it doesn't have to be on your phone.

oldtimer 3

What a bunch of BS! Go to court with that bs and the judge is going to throw the book at you. You didn’t get a ticket for going 2 or 3 mph above limit.

UsernameRequired 2

ABSOLUTELY not a true story. Lame dude. While your attempt at attention *did* work, common sense states that using a more *realistic* story would garner both a larger quantity AND a much more positive response. You ARE the weakest link! Goodbye!