By rejectedprobably - 18/07/2016 23:06 - United States - Zionsville

Today, I asked one of my teachers to write me a letter of recommendation for my top school. Even though I did fairly well in their class, I found out that they don't think that I'm very intelligent, but my "strong, work ethic" makes up for it. They mentioned it in the letter and submitted it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 383
You deserved it 1 147

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Use your "strong work ethic" to do exceptionally well in college and then come back 4 years later to take their job.

Wait until after you've graduated and then tell them what you REALLY think about it. A dose of brutal honesty in return may be good for them.

Comments

Wait until after you've graduated and then tell them what you REALLY think about it. A dose of brutal honesty in return may be good for them.

Use your "strong work ethic" to do exceptionally well in college and then come back 4 years later to take their job.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Gee, I don't know. Maybe because people going after teaching degrees have to work hard too?

3, I spent 4 years of college and two years of grad school working hard to become a teacher. I constantly enroll in additional classes, seminars, and trainings so that I can continue to grow and be a better teacher. Most teachers work really hard to become (and continue) being teachers. It's a shame you don't recognize that.

riahlum - so they can teach people like you the fine arts of grammar, spelling, rhetoric, and logic.

indeed, apparently #3 "neva hed any grammer intruckshun."

nesteremily 31

Always ask to read the letter before they send it

I never hand reference letters directly back, I mail them myself. Also, know your references better.

A lot of colleges (and scholarships) now have online recommendations for teachers to fill out and digitally attach letters of rec to. They do this so that people who are writing the letters can write honest feedback about a candidate. It also eliminates potential for tampering or forgery. In many cases, the student is unable to see what a teacher wrote even after it is submitted.

You can still ask to see the letter before they send it.

Work ethic is more important than intelligence. You can have someone who's really intelligent but they don't do their work and fail because they didnt learn anything. With a good work ethic you can do damn near anything.

Technically she can't get in trouble since the student asked for a reference letter. She can write what she wants at her own discretion. If she was outright saying the student was stupid and didn't do her work then she might be able to reprimanded for it, but that's about.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

As a teacher, you must realize that even if a student is hard working, if they are not capable of doing the work, or are unable to grasp the material being taught, hard work will do little for them. Also, you must realize that "smart" and "intelligent" are not the same thing. I have many students who do well in class, and I would even call them smart and hard working, but not intelligent. A student can easily learn facts, terms, and formulas, but lack the ability to properly contextualize, analyze, synthesize, or evaluate them. Colleges don't want people who will just keep plugging away at something even if things are difficult. They want students who are dynamic problem solvers, and who have the ability to build on and expand ideas.

Um, 7, she has every right to write it, and it is definitely not rude to state your opinion when asked for it. OP asked for a letter. If I'm asked to write a letter of recommendation for a student (or anyone, really) for college, a job, or anything, I'm going to write an honest recommendation. It would be unethical to lie, especially if I'm attaching my word and my name to something. If I send a dishonest recommendation for someone, that could damage my recommendation, something I'm unwilling to do because I've worked hard to build that reputation. However, if I feel I'm unable to write a glowing, or even helpful, recommendation for a student, I will just politely decline to write it (which, perhaps, OP's teacher should have done).

Don't worry, colleges need hard work more than intelligence

She gave you a compliment, she wasn't being mean or rude or trying to sabotage you. People with strong work ethic are exactly the type of people who do well at college and the ones who are a bit brighter, slack off and fail most of the time.

That's not such a bad thing. Sometimes it's the other way around which is muche worse!