By singleagain - 24/08/2009 05:16 - United States

Today, I almost got married. After the elaborate and very expensive wedding, my "husband" decided he did not want to sign the marriage license because he wasn't sure if he really wanted to settle down after all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 395
You deserved it 3 514

Same thing different taste

Top comments

HoorayForFML 0

He might have saved you trouble in the future. If that's how he felt, but signed the liscense, you guys might have gotten divorced anyway a few years from now. And, hey, you guys can always make it official later if he does finally decide to commit.... if you're still together, that is. ;)

Now that you've got the bigassed wedding you always wanted out of the way, you can concentrate on finding somebody worth marrying.

Comments

Holy crap, that's even worse than what happened to my aunt. (Her fiance skipped town the day before the wedding.) That sucks. Hope he gets what's coming.

Sounds like he came to his senses at the last minute. /Marriage is an outdated ritual that has no place in the modern world.

People also believe in an invisible sky wizard that controls everything. /50% of marriages end in divorce. //Do you really need some piece of paper to show love for someone else?

mcsnelly 5

You have no idea who the OP is or what she's like, so you have no place to be accusing her of this shit. And it doesn't even matter what the situation is, even if it is something like what you said. You don't propose to someone, go through a whole engagement and plan the wedding, actually HAVE the wedding, and THEN decide that you don't want to be married! Also, you don't lead someone on to think that you actually want to be in a relationship long term when you have no intention of "settling down." But, again, none of what you said is known, so, yes, it is a HUGE FYL for the OP!

crzygrl90218 0

That is the worst thing ever! I'm so sorry! As for some of these people assuming she pressured him into marriage, insisted on a big wedding... you are the one living in the last century. I told my now-husband that I just wanted to date, not get married when we met. A few years later, we both realized we wanted this to be a long-term partnership, and weren't afraid of the commitment. I also offered to sign a pre-nup if he wanted (he declined.) We did have a big wedding, but because his parents wanted to invite eleventy-billion people, not because I stomped my feet. I would have also been happy getting hitched on the beach with a few of our friends and closest family. There are definitely women out there that are total @(&_!!, but it's not all of us. :) OP, obviously you deserve better and I hope you find someone if being married is important to you. I love being married, but I loved being single too, and there are definitely some tradeoffs. Even though you're single unwillingly, try to enjoy the good parts about it once you start to work past the pain. Such as staying out all night if you damn well please, never arguing over what to have for dinner, and watching whatever crappy movie you're interested in. Also, travel costs 1/2 as much, so you can travel more! Good luck.....

P.S. - My husband was diagnosed with Lupus the night of our rehearsal dinner. I took my decision to marry for better or worse very seriously - the only way I would ever divorce him would be if he had an affair, became abusive, or became a drug addict. Obviously neither of us thinks any of those things will happen. ;)

Verbal contracts are irrelevant in the case of marriage, hence the gay marriage hoopla. What I wanna know is if you still went on the honeymoon. I'd say it's time for a last-minute bridesmaids-only vacation. Also, she might not be a bridezilla. If I had been one, it would have meant insisting that "my day" was how I wanted it-- small & intimate. Instead I agreed to the big wedding my parents wanted to host. So quick to judge, these young commentors!

I'm glad you didn't get stuck with a loser. You're freeeeeeeee.

Bullshit bullshit bullshit. The witnesses and judge/minister sign the license on the wedding day not the bride and groom.

haha ..... you must looked buckled now that he is sobering up