Congratulations

By Anonymous - 16/07/2009 18:46 - United States

Today, while talking on the phone with my long-distance boyfriend, he let me know that he was getting married in August to "some girl" for his papers. After I objected, he told me, "Well, you can marry me if you want." I'm not sure if I just got dumped or proposed to. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 608
You deserved it 5 912

Same thing different taste

Top comments

fxdxhk90 0

He doesn't wanna marry you, he wants to be legalized. You have been dumped, don't fall for his bs proposal.

He's pretty much giving you an ultimatum. Either marry him so he can become a legal resident where you live or he'll marry someone else. FYL cause he should've actually proposed to you (if he didn't) instead of finding someone else to marry. To be honest it seems like he's using you big time. Dump him?

Comments

persiancutie 0

that is dumb dont trust him he'll cheat on you

wtf is everyone's problem? he just wants citizenship... the "you can marry me if you want" was just a joke, but still a valid offer if she's willing to go through with it. Nothing in the original post suggest he was cheating on the OP

Yeah, nobody really gets this. He probably set up a marriage with another woman (quite probable that she's a complete stranger and he'll pay her) to get married just for citizenship, because it's easier and less expensive than applying. Then they'll get divorced (or not) and he'll be with his real love. And save an actual marriage for her. UNLESS she has a problem with this (girls often have silly problems with simple things, because they can't see the end result so clearly), then he'd marry her for citizenship even though he might not be ready right now, just to not hurt her. He sounds pretty sweet.

Yeah, nobody really gets this. He probably set up a marriage with another woman (quite probable that she's a complete stranger and he'll pay her) to get married just for citizenship, because it's easier and less expensive than applying. Then they'll get divorced (or not) and he'll be with his real love. And save an actual marriage for her. UNLESS his girlfriend has a problem with this (girls often have silly problems with simple things, because they can't see the end result so clearly), then he'd marry her for citizenship even though he might not be ready right now, just to not hurt her. He sounds pretty sweet.

If he marries the other girl first he has to married to her for something like 5 or 10 years to keep his citizenship so that is doesn't look like he married her for the papers. So if his plan was marry any girl and pay, and then marry the girl who posted this. Well that requires that she has to watch him married to someone else for 5 yrs. But honestly from dealing with guys like that my whole life, I can tell that he will either pay her to marry him, or use ur affection for him to marry him and both ways he gets his papers. Marry you is cheaper. DUMP THAT JERK NOW!!!

I don't know about in the US, but in Canada, if an illegal marries a citizen, the citizen is responsible for supporting the illegal for THREE YEARS, regardless if the "relationship" works or not. It's called a "marriage of convenience" when someone marries a citizen just to get their visa. And it's illegal, and immigration workers DO catch it.

omg people are so cheap. marrying for citizenship? cmon now guys...

Imawhalerider 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

if he married you, wouldnt that make him legal here?

thats the idea-he'd just be marrying her to become legal

fxdxhk90 0

He doesn't wanna marry you, he wants to be legalized. You have been dumped, don't fall for his bs proposal.

Agreed. Find someone better, hopefully in the same country.

Agree - you got proposed to - dump him before getting in any deeper, he's not after you he just wants the visa. Soon as he's settled he'll stop being charming and start looking around for someone new. Just like he already did ...

realggirl 0

Uh, if he just wanted a VISA, he'd marry the other girl. It's possible that he happens to be genuinely in love with her and just needed citizenship.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

How is that her fault?! No, America is ****** because of idiotic losers like you.

haha that is so funny "Dey turk our Jewrbssss" haha that makes me laugh

#36--- #8 also said "YDI" at the end of her reply, implying that it is somehow the girl's fault that her boyfriend is trying to cheat the system. so really, #11's post DOES make sense

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

revanche 2

25 south park refrence FTW

Wow, that's a keeper. Better take that as a proposal, you wouldn't want to let that one get away! /sarcasm

He's pretty much giving you an ultimatum. Either marry him so he can become a legal resident where you live or he'll marry someone else. FYL cause he should've actually proposed to you (if he didn't) instead of finding someone else to marry. To be honest it seems like he's using you big time. Dump him?