By Anonymous - 22/09/2013 11:36 - United States - Big Pine Key

Today, for the fifth day in a row, I have awoken at 6am to the sounds of my roommate's guest's child screaming. If it's anything like the last four days, the child will continue to randomly screech every fifteen minutes or so for the next five hours. I work 13-hour night shifts. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 012
You deserved it 2 755

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zack6849 8

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver :D

Comments

perdix 29

That's clearly a violation of the Roommate Agreement! Have you learned nothing from the wisdom of Dr. Sheldon Cooper? Bazinga!

skyeyez9 24

Hard truth about being a parent: It's not always fun. In fact, especially during the first 3yrs, its exhausting, and you wanna rip your hair out from being so frustrated.

My daughter is 6 years old and I still want to rip my hair out sometimes.

Unfortunately the parents who expect everyone else to deal with their children so their lives don't have to change are the ones who cause us non parents to not always understand what good parents are going through. It is frustrating watching bad parenting always be the first thing blamed though. If you were dependent on someone else for everything and had no other way to communicate then screaming, you would scream as well.

set multiple alarms to go off at different times during the night. also if you have a home phone randomly call it while they are asleep.

After 2 years of dealing with loud roommates, my suggestion is this - get earplugs, and then take your ipod or mp3 player or whatever you have and play an album you can sleep to (my pick was Sara Barailles). If you put in some headphones or ear buds that wrap around your ear, you'll be able to hear the music through the earplugs, but not much of what's going on outside.

I agree it sucks for you but it could be because the kid is in a new situation and uncomfortable out of his or her familiar zone. I am the type of parent that always tries to remind my daughter that their are people sleeping but when she was younger I had to remind her at least every 15 mins. Sucks but it is what kids do.

And your point? The roommate and the mother should be considerate. The woman and her baby are guests.

Usually my guests' comfort is more important to me than my own. The mother may be doing all she can but the kid might be the kind of kid that cries a lot and there isn't much she can do. Or like I said, if the kid isn't comfortable because they are in an unfamiliar setting, there isn't much the more can do unless you expect her to actually duct tape the kids mouth shut.

Well she can leave? That would be the best solution. I´m sure there are some nice hotels around.

Castrella: the guests comfort should be important to the person who invited them in. However, Op did not ask for the guests to be there. Sometimes you have to ask people to leave. Op pays to live there and has to work, they should not have to suffer because the roommate wants to have the guest there.

Guest's child...they should leave soon...or invest in some ear plugs...

Obviously you're all stupid and don't have kids. because some they just cry and there's nothing you can do about it.

Yes, sometimes kids cry and there's not much you can do about it. I was sick a lot as a baby and screamed almost literally for the first six months of my life. My parents looked after me in shifts and took me for drives to get me to sleep. HOWEVER, this person is a guest in someone else's home, and they're inconveniencing someone who didn't choose to have this child present, or the consequences of their screaming. This means the roommate and the guest should be doing everything they can to minimize the disturbances, even if that means taking the kid for a walk or to the park so they can run around and scream outside where it's less of a bother to someone trying to sleep.

Obviously, we are too smart to shackle ourselves up with a screaming, pooping, annoying little human and therefore are annoyed when someone who chooses that life can't handle their little demon spawn. I got woken up this morning at 5am because someone's little ******* ******** kids decided that running around near my bedroom window screaming at the top of their lungs for 3 hours was the best thing ever. Control your ******* kids or don't have them. /end rant

I agree with Katt. I get really sick of bad parents/kids who do nothing but inconvenience the rest of us. I cannot stand screaming children, drives me up the wall. I can handle it when the child is younger, has autism, or cannot help it... but when the parents can/should do something about it and they won't, then I get pretty angry.

You need to talk to your roommate. I know they can't help it, but after 5 days point out you've had enough of this bullshit and you want them to either go back home or tell the parent to talk to their little shit of a kid. Tell the kid it's rude to act up like that in someone's house.

OP it's a lesson in how birth control is so important!! Just think, the parents get that 24/7 until they're older....then they become teenagers. Uh, no thanks!! Sorry it sucks, but I guess maybe ear plugs or noise canceling headphones as someone suggested.